Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my roses doing okay?

Posted by GreenDreamhome Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 15:36

I'm in Zone 9, Phoenix area, where it's in the 80's during the day and 50s-60s at night right now.

The photo is of my little Shockwave yellow roses about a week ago. I bought it as a very small young plant a few months ago. It grew these three yellow flowers and kept them for about two weeks. Now they are gone, and I don't see any other buds.

It has another young friend, a larger orange Marmalade Skies. It started larger, grew faster, and has had lots of little green buds for a few weeks, but it was only just today that I saw a little sliver of orange on one of the buds.

Are they behaving as expected? My 20+ year old mystery rose bush (I just posted about it in Name That Rose!) has had flowers for about three weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my roses doing okay?

Hi GreenDreamhome: I love your picture of Shockwave yellow rose, very pretty & healthy rose. Since Shockwave is a mini-rose (most re-repeat) blooming, the next flowering will be VERY SOON. But the more petals a bloom has (like Austin roses), the longer interval in between flowering.

Marmalade skies have lots of large petals, so the bud-stage will be longer to form those petals. The cold night and hot day will give color changes to your flower development. Your roses look great, and are very healthy.

o

Thanks for answering -- I feel much better! Look what I found today! It's opened more since I took the photo. And I see tiny buds on my yellow rose bush.

o

Thank you, GreenDreamHome, for that picture of your Marmalade skies rose .. very healthy with dark green leaves.

When there's not enough water, most roses stop blooming and go into dormant mode. One year when it was over 100 degrees summer, my Frederic Mistral rose kept on wilting no matter how much water given. The clay there was VERY compacted. Clay glued with fine-particles of peat-moss & alfalfa meal. I had to dig up the concrete chunks, and put fluffy potting soil & composted wood chips... no more wilting.

Gardenseek posted "Rose Hugel" blog on how to prevent wilting in hot weather with a wood chip and soil mix stated that for his clay soil in San Francisco area, a 50% bark mixed with 50% clay yielded the best no-wilt result. Bark retains more water than peat moss, when buried underground. Bark also provides more oxygen to roots, thus greener leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hugel blog by GardenSeek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here