Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwbowle

Organic Amendments vs. Chemical Fertilizing

rwbowle
19 years ago

What is the difference between using organic amendments (blood meal, bone meal, fish meal, cottonseed meal, etc.) and combining a schedule of chemical fertization with it, throught the season, versus just using chemical fertiziers throughout the season, without the organic amendments?

thanks.

Comments (4)

• User
    19 years ago

Organic amendments also help to improve soil texture as well as feed every component of the soil including plant life. The chemical fertilizers primarily feed plant life without the bonus of creating better soil. It's the rare gardener who has perfect soil and doesn't need to add organic amendments to improve it. And, it's the rare plant who is totally healthy and happy on a diet of chemicals alone in a poor soil substrate.

• JenniferSomogyi
    19 years ago

I happen to work for an Organic Fertilizer company called Perfect blend. No worries, I am just the designer, and an avid gardener. I have become very excited about the products we make mainly becuase now we can offer an organic alternative to composting, or other additives.

You are totally right about "the rare plant who is totally healthy and happy on a diet of chemicals alone in a poor soil substrate" Perfect Blend's 4-4-4 is a low level nitrogen, that focuses on providing the plants with humic and fulvic acids they need to grow healthy.

So, you could use the 4-4-4 (registered 100% organic) and not worry about the additives.

Jen

• Kimmsr
    19 years ago

If you have sandy soil with very little to no organic matter any nutrients you apply, no matter the source, will flow through and into the ground water (causing pollution) and wasting your money because that food will not be feeding your plant. Adding organic matter to sand fills in the pore spaces and helps hold both nutrients and moisture in the root zone so the plants can uptake what they need.
    If you have clay soil with little to no orgnaic amtter in that soil any nutrients you apply, no matter the source, will be locked onto the clay particles and will not be available to the plants. Adding organic matter will seperate the clay particles, change the electric charge on the clay particles so the nutrients are not locked on, the plants roots will be able to move around to find both food and nutrients more freely so the plants grow stronger and healthier.
    You do not need to add organic matter to your soil but if you do you may just as well take the money you would spend for "fertilzier" and through it into the nearest landfill for all the good it will do.

• merrall
    18 years ago

I believe that recent research in england suggests that roses do best with both organic and chemical fertilizers than with either alone