Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing the Rose Bed

Posted by natlawn No VA 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 13, 06 at 20:59

I just ordered some "Knock Out" and "Fantasy Ground Cover" roses from Burgess Company.

My soil is clay and PH is 7.5.

This is my first time to try planting roses.

How do I prepare the soil for the above roses? I am planning to add compost and Rose-Tone.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing the Rose Bed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 14:27

Don't add fertilizer with nitrogen to the planting hole. You want to encourage roots at first not growth. Once the plant is established and growing, you can then add the fertilizer. The link below has very good planting advice. I know it is for cold hardy roses but the info is great just the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of Minnesota Rose Publication

o

i add sand and soil conditioner ( finely ground pine bark) to my clay along with the compost. it lets more air and water circulate, and helps get the nutrients out of the clay. think of it like making biscuits - start by cutting the sugar (sand) into the shortening (clay) and then you add your flour (compost, soil conditioner, topsoil, old potting soil) for bulk and aeration.

Be careful, though, and maybe do a test patch. I use play sand, and it works pretty well for me, but if you use the wrong sand or too much of it, you will end up making concrete. I generally add about a shovelful of sand to about 3 or 4 of organics, for every couple of feet of double-digging in a clay bed.

o

What you need to do to your clay soil is add lots of organic matter. Organic matter will seperate the clay soil particles to allow easier movement of moisture through that soil and will change the electrical charge of the soil particles to release tightly held nutrients, something sand will not do. Your compost, in sufficient quantites, will be fine although the "Rose-Tone" could be added after planting.

o

ph needs to be brought down a bit. Roses like it around 6.0. I'm in no way an expert and can't tell you how to bring it down. I just happen to know that since I just finished reading a book on roses.

o

Thank you vey much for all the advices!!!

o

I am making a new rose bed for potted roses. What should not go in? I have read that I should not be fertilizing new roses? Many thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here