Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ladybugs...Wow!

Posted by cambel z6-7a DC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 8:19

I used to use Bayer 3 in 1, and I do have to say, no pests, very little blackspot, however, I had hardly any worms in the soil and the few that were there were weak and off colored.

A few years now of not using any chemicals, huge numbers of worms, but tons of aphids. I ordered some live ladybugs, and wow!

Two days later, and all the aphids are gone, most of the ladybugs have flown but about 20 seem to have stayed possibly laying eggs. My neighbors have commented that THEIR roses have no aphids now too. Defilntly will be doing this again next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ladybugs...Wow!

I had the same experience as you did. Thanks for sharing. Please let me know where you order the ladybugs and the cost. I have the orange ladybugs, but not the bright red ones. The orange ones bite.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 16, 12 at 14:25

ALL Ladybugs bite, just that some are a bit more ornery.

o

Hmm, it is not the grown bugs that are known to eat a lot of aphids, but the black larvaes (or nymphes?) does. They look nothing like the red lady bugs. There is a super efficient wasp though, that layes eggs in the aphids, and withing in a few days they are all dead. Maybe you had a visit of a few of those?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here