Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Canker chagrins

jenswrens
20 years ago

Is is really true that the only way to get rid of canker is to cut all the canes way back? It seems such a shame, like for my climbers, to have to cut off canes that otherwise seem healthy. I'm afraid I'll be left with no roses at all.

Is it possible that my soil is infected? It seems that every new rose I plant eventually ends up with canker...the OGRs and rugosas are less susceptible, but any hybrid shrub like Bonica or floribundas get hit the hardest. I don't want to prune severely every year...how will I ever end up with large rosebushes if I do that?

Can it be treated or at least held in check without cutting back and sacrificing a year's worth of blooms? If so, how? My roses are all already showing about 2 inches of new growth so I think it's too late for dormant treatments. Unfortunately, I was too busy to bother during the winter. Now what? Is there something I can put in the soil?

Now it seems that something similar is also affected all my peonies. Black buds and sunken areas along the stems. Is this related to what my roses have?

Thanks.

Comments (2)