Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primulaveris

Success with rose spray and leaf compost

primulaveris
20 years ago

I am so happy. This was a good weekend for a new organic gardener. Saturday evening I went to look at the rose in the front yard. It had tiny little green bugs crawling all over them. They were only as big as mites or so. Anyway, I put some canola oil, baking soda and dishsoap in a waterbottle (and added some kelp and fish fertilizer) and sprayed it. Next morning they were all gone. I am so happy there is finally something that works and is not bad for my health. On Sunday I inspected some piles of leaves that we piled up right behind the fence last year. I scrached off the upper layer, maybe one inch or so, and right below was the finest compost you can think off. Just wanted to share...

Comments (7)

• sylviatexas1
    20 years ago

Yay!
    I love it when stuff works!

And I do dearly love leaves.

Isn't it ironic that we're re-discovering the ways our grandparents & great-grandparents did things?

Isn't it wonderful that we are able to re-discover those ways?

• tamarava
    20 years ago

Organic gardening is so very rewarding. If you haven't already,get yourself a book to identify benefical insects and their larva stage.I quickly learned that a small green wormy looking thing on my rose last year was a hoover fly larva and it LOVES to eat aphids.After that I tried to learn about the various stages of these "do good" bugs.I really saw a fascinating lesson in the chain of life when I witnessed a swarm of termites leaving my compost pile. As I got closer I could see my favorite green lizard eating them up,10 dragon flies were buzzing around eating them in mid-air while the brown ants were dragging the wingless ones away off the ground.I always try to go the least toxic way so this chain can continue in my garden.Enjoy! Tamara

• primulaveris
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I got another kick out of it yesterday, when I sprayed a huge bush invested with whiteflies. I used the hose end sprayer with murphy's oil soap and dishsoap (do I really need dishsoap when using murphy's???). When I accidentely hit the house I realized that it won't harm anything, so I aimed at it on purpose and washed some dirt off while I was at it. Try that with pestizide. It is awesome to see that you can use something so simple and it works. And it makes me feel really good to know that even if I accidentely spray on me, it won't harm me. May wash some dirt off, too :-)

• User
    20 years ago

Soap sprays are indiscriminate killers and will kill all of your beneficial bugs as well as the bad ones. Oil sprays are the same. Bye bye ladybugs and preying mantises. A plain sharp stream of water is sufficient for washing off aphids, and it won't harm the beneficials.

• primulaveris
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I disagree. A simple sharp stream of water will not wash off any whiteflies. They fly up in the air and sit right back down as soon as you stop. Would be nice, though.

• User
    20 years ago

I didn't claim it would work on whiteflies, just aphids, which is the pest your first post describes. Whiteflies can be handled by horticultural oil or soap sprays, but at the expense of your beneficials that are munching on them.

• lapageria
    19 years ago

Our roses have not had black spot for a while, but the grapevine had powdery mildew, which was healed by spraying milk on the leaves. The article I found (I don't remember where) said that milk would also work with black spot. And you don't need to add soap.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!