Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Aphids away with Sunflowers and Nasturtiums

Posted by Rini Rochester, NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 13:55

Hi!

I went to a companion planting class and the instructor told us that you can keep aphids away from your roses by planting nasturtiums and/or sunflowers near by (not in the same bed).

She said the nasturtiums would be "sacrificial" plants in that you would have to clip off the aphid-infested parts and discard, but the sunflower is hardy enough to withstand an aphid attack.

Has anyone ever tried this method?

thanks
Rini

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Aphids away with Sunflowers and Nasturtiums

It sounds like the sunflowers and nasturtiums are decoys. I've heard that clover, mint, and pennyroyal discourage aphids by their smell. My grandmother swore by onions and the onion flowers are actually interesting in a flower garden. I have garlic planted with mine but its too early to tell if it works. They say catnip works but I'd be careful where I plant it. In the right place it would lure cats away from the roses, but in the wrong place it would draw them in. My catnip is in a corner with spearmint in a container in the other corner and garlic all in between.

I don't know if these will actually help, but I figured it couldn't hurt and its an excuse to buy more plants. :^)

Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here