Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmsorkin

Fertilizing after using antitranspirant ?

lmsorkin
20 years ago

Hello, all! On the advice found in the book "Growing Roses Organically" by Barbara Wilde, I have sprayed my rose bushes with Wilt-Pruf antitranspirant. She recommends this as a barrier to prevent fungal penetration.

I have two questions that the book doesn't answer, though. The first is how often should I repeat the application? The bushes are just breaking dormancy, so this application was mainly to the canes. Should I respray when the leaves are out? How often thereafter?

My second question is, does this affect the roses' absorption of foliar fertilizers? The book also highly recommends the use of kelp or seaweed extract as a foliar feed. Will the antitranspirant prevent the rose from accessing the foliar feed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (6)

• henry_kuska
    20 years ago

I cannot say for sure that it would work, but I would suggest mixing some of your foliar feed with the antitranspirant with the hope that you have created a time release feeding system.

Last fall I tried mixing rooting solution with antitranspirant and spraying some known very hard to root, yellow, near species cuttings. So far it appears that they have rooted.

• User
    20 years ago

The most vulnerable foilage is the tender new foliage that is being produced on a rapidly growing plant. You may have to spray as often as every 3 days to ensure that the newest leaves will receive a coating. All it takes is one single fungal spore to land on an unprotected leaf when the temps are right for disease to begin. Fungicides that rely on a barrier coating as their method of action can be a lot of work during early spring.

Foliar feeding is terribly inefficient. Roses absorb 99% of their nutrients through the root system, and the stomata on the underside of the leaves are rarely even targeted correctly by those who "foliar feed". Most of the results that you see from such an application is due to the runoff onto the ground where to roots take up the nutrients.

• pattypan
    19 years ago

Thank you Holly Springs! My last botany class (many years ago) taught me that leaves exchange gasses, do the photosynthesis,and roots took up nutrients and water. I don't understand foliar feeding-even 1%.Does someone know the biology/chemistry behind this? Lay the science on me!

• wildrose1996
    19 years ago

Well, just like we (humans) can be Harmed by absorbing toxins through our skin, or nourished with vitamin E oil lotion, or certain medications can be absorbed transdermally too (Nitropaste for cardiac patients, the birth control patch, hormone patch, NicodermCQ for smoking cessation.., etc.)... A plants' fresh vegetation (leaves, usually) are also permeable, and can be affected by what they absorb. I agree completely that the best fertilization is through the root system, but the leaves are capable of uptaking a very small amount of nutrients through the topical application of weak fertilizers. Fish emulsion is usually used for safety, chemical fertilizers have more potential to burn the foliage.

The same mechanism that allows plants to uptake systemic fungal treatments will also uptake a bit of nutrition. But just like you and I, it will need more to eat than say, rubbing a piece of chocolate cake on your thigh (that's where it heads, anyhow, right?)

• henry_kuska
    19 years ago

There is another similar thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0701424025801.html?17

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar thread

• pickwick
    19 years ago

re:foliar feeding; see Horst Marschner (Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants;2nd Edition),particularly(though not exclusively) chapter four:Uptake and Release of Mineral Elements by Leaves and Other Aerial Parts ->(4.3)Foliar Application of Mineral Nutrients.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals