Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you use household bleach.....

Posted by deafblossom z7AR (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 18:42

I found the homemade receipt in my rose magazine. Powdery mildew/blackspot to thrip. Combines 1/4 cup of household bleach in 3 gallons of water and sprays it on plant when problems starts. So.. I am wondering if... Have you tried it? Is it safe to use it? Thank you, Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you use household bleach.....

That sounds like a good recipe for cleaning floors, but I don't think I'd use that much bleach on a plant. You would sterilze countertops and dishes with that much bleach. oh, it might be a good proportion for sterilizing bypass pruners when you're trimming off diseased rose canes.

But there are much less poisonous recipes for powdery mildew and blackspot. Check the FAQ's for good and truely organic recipes for combating those diseases. Cheryl

o
RE: do you use household bleach.....

Bleach is pretty potent stuff to use in the garden, a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution is used as a major disinfectant in hospitals, resturants, and many other places. It is what is used to clean up body fluids after an accident. A 50/50 solution of fat free milk and water works wonders, or 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of water sprayed every 5 to 7 days if there is an active Black Spot or Powdery Mildew presence, or every 7 to 10 days to keep that from occurng.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here