Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate6_gw

recommendations for seaweed extract sprays

kate6
19 years ago

I would like to know what seaweed sprays there are, and what seems to be the best! i have seen the coast of maine "fog island kelp" and Saltwater Farms Sea Com-PGR Organic Seaweed Concentrate. are these type of things available at lowe's or at finer nurseries? or will i get a better deal ordering online? not wanting to spend a million dollars, just keeps the leaves of my antique roses extra happy!

thanks,

kate

Comments (7)

• habitat_gardener
    19 years ago

For my veg garden, I use whatever liquid seaweed I can find locally -- Maxicrop at the small local garden shop, or another brand (forgot the name) at the local chain nursery (Summerwinds). I haven't tried the powdered seaweed.

• irish_rose_grower
    19 years ago

I'm trying Response this year. It's gotten great reviews on the forums here. I bought it from Rosemania, don't remember the price (maybe 20.00?) but free shipping so it wasn't too bad.

Maureen

• taoseeker
    19 years ago

Hi habitat_gardener
    I don't know if brand names matter, but I didn't notise any difference until I started watering the soil with liquid seaweed too. Now I use seaweed meal in spring, the liquid stuff can be expensive.
    Good luck !

• Lady_Rose_CA
    18 years ago

I use Seaweed Extract powder, found at a local nursery,
    Pricing is better as you are not paying for water,LOL
    Seriously, the pkg I bought(under $40) makes 45 gallons of extract,
    which you then dilute @ 2tablespoons per gallon of water,to water your plants.. I used this all last summer
    and still have enough to last me another 10 years, Margaret

• silybum
    18 years ago

I order from Peaceful Valley Farms. Call their toll free # also, they are very helpful.

Cold Processed Kelp - 9.95/quart
    Eco-hydro fish - 12.95/gal
    Seabird guano/high P - 11.95/5#box
    Therm X70/spreader sticker - 29.95/quart

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Valley Farms

• joby_TX
    18 years ago

A previous post mentioned Maxicrop.

I have a bottle of that stuff, but it does not mention anything about spraying with it. It just has dilution rates for watering it in (unless I missed something on the packaging). Is it safe to spray with it? How much do you use?

JoeB

• DRKboss
    18 years ago

Dried Seaweed comes in two forms: Kelp Meal and Soluble Powder.

You can make a liquid out of either one; it's easy--just add water.

The Soluble Powder is more expensive but it dissolves instantly in water; the Kelp Meal has to be brewed into a Tea but costs significantly less. Testing has shown that the species, Ascophyllum Nodosum, grown in cold waters has the most beneficial effects of any species tested so far.

Any commercial Seaweed liquid sold at the store is made from dried seaweed. Once you activate the seaweed with water, it becomes "live". This means that it will swell the bottles as the liquids sit on the shelf unless there is some sort of preservative added to slow down the microbial activity and increase shelf life. The powders are dried; no other form of preservation is needed.

Seaweed sprays work incredibly well as a foliar feed as long as you don't overdo it. Plants can absorb up to 30% of the nutrients they need directly through the leaves bypassing the roots. If you overdo it, though, and your balance is not exactly right, the plants may not do as well.

Foliar feeding once or twice a season usually will be sufficient, with no risk of overdoing it. Spray in the morning--not in the heat of the day--until just a few drops roll off. You can use a yucca extract or dish soap (try to stay away from dish detergent) if you want to add a sticking agent.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH