Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

Vengeance on my mind....

serenasyh
14 years ago

o.k. everyone! the raiiiiin is driving me crazy... It is rendering my Greenlight insect repellent completely useless...and just today I noticed an onslaught of insects with these rainy days...

but then I saw Shot-Gun Hot Pepper Wax Repellent which says it will not only repel the monster rabbits and squirrels but also! says it will help deter insects. Another plus is that it is supposed to hold up for a day in rain... Has anyone used this product? and how effective is it against the nasties like thripes and spider mites... and will it burn out the poor bees from getting their pollen and nectar? If this hot pepper wax does have a negative on bees, I'll just spray everywhere but the flowers (those I'll just use GreenLight instead)...

Thanks everyone... (I am filled with GRRRS and frustration right now).... Two buds that I have long awaited for on my tree rose have suddenly vanished....

Comments (2)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The manufacturer of one of these products, Bonide, states that their product is a repellent while someone peddleing that same product claims the "hot wax" suffocates the insects it contacts. I'm not sure how they can keep the wax fluid enough in an aerosol container to spray it around but I have seen some reports that wax applied to plant leaves can suppress both the ability of that leaf to photosynthesize and transpire like a plants leaves are supposed to.
    If a repellent is necessary I have found that qhizzing 1 medium onion, 1 garlic bulb, and some hot peppers in a blender with 1 cup of water and allowing that mixture to steep for 24 hours after which you strain, dilute, and spray. Of course the best way to control insect pests is to make the soil in your garden good and healthy so your plants can grow strong and healthy and better able to ward off insect pest attacks and to create an environment in your garden that the beneficials, predators, will hang around in so they are there when you need them to control these pests.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ooo, rats darn! I had waited for a reply and after 4 days of rain frustration with thripes and crushing citrus blackfly on one of my patio tree roses(a different type of aphid) between my fingers and tissue (had never noticed them before until the rains hit) I went out and got the Shotgun. For the first time I was able to stop the thripes from totally attacking the huge beautiful green leaves of my roses... Part of the problem Kissmer is that STUPID, STUPID ME planted zillions of gladiolus RIGHT NEXT TO MY ROSES! I found out all too belatedly that they are thripes magnets and it would require some major effort to dig them all up because they've gotten so huge and would mess up my mulching ...

I would always find many edges and tips of my otherwise beautiful healthy rose leaves stained with brown patches. This is the first time I've ever seen no more added patches so far... to any of my roses... both garden and the elevated Patio tree roses... But sadly I haven't seen any bees around my wonderfully fragrant Aromatherapy blossoms... No bees so far! (sad-face) I am realizing that the pepper spray may be scaring them off... when I used Greenlight, there were some leafhoppers who'd still eat bits of my rose petals, but not so when I used the Pepper spray, vapor aim was off and may have gotten to the flowers...

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner