Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to organic

Posted by rebeccah_2009 6b (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:59

I am going organic this year mainly because I do not want to kill my birds and bees. My main problem here is blackspot. Is there any organic solutions for this and also one of my roses has rose rosette. Is there any hope for this one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to organic

The plant with rose rosette needs to come out immediately.

In this part of the world (eastern NJ), no organic treatment has been effective for blackspot. The best preventative is to plant varieties known to be disease resistant in your area.

For clarity, synthetic fungicides don't kill birds and bees.

o

Thank you for the information. Maybe I'll just spray my fungicide then. Although it doesn't seem to do well either.

o

The thing with fungicides is to start before the plants leaf out. If you wait until afterwards, there is blackspot that overwinters on the canes, and will emerge soon after the leaves open. If you start your application now, the leaves that already have (or will soon have) an active case of blackspot will keep the disease, but new leaves should be relatively clean.

Which fungicide are you using?

o

I have Bayer Advanced systemic disease control. Is there anything I can use for the blackspot that is already showing?

o

Sorry I just saw where you said they would keep the disease.

o

Hi Rebeccah: There are other organic ways which I outlined in the thread below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic ways to prevent black spot

o

Another approach, rather than using toxic chemicals, is to find out which roses have the greatest degree of blackspot resistance in your area. You might inquire about this at the rose forum or antique rose forum and hopefully people from your area will respond with suggestions. We don't know enough about the long-term side effects of any toxic chemical agents to categorically state they are safe for every living creature in our gardens, including us, our children and our pets.

o

Thank you for the information. i did read up on the link you gave me. The information was helpful. I have also wisened up this year and started looking for roses more suitable to my area but the older ones I'm still having problems with.

o

Hi Rebeccah: If you have any problems, feel free to ask in this thread ... I'll check for your questions. If your roses are grafted on Dr. Huey, BS is more of a problem.. Dr. Huey doesn't like it wet, he prefers dry.

I have 45+ own-root roses, all are healthy. There's a thread I posted entitled, "Your most healthy, no spray roses" with pictures of roses 100% clean in my garden when the surface is kept dry and alkaline, with hardwood mulch that dries out fast, plus horse manure for potassium to fight diseases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your most healthy and no-spray roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here