Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with thrips

Posted by lauriefbq z7Tn (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 04 at 10:01

Hi everyone! I have been on another rose forum for a while and can not believe the amount of chemicals being used.I have always been organic and decided to finally look you guys up.I am in Knoxville,Tn and new to this area.Have never had a thrip problem before now.I am spraying with Safer insecticidal soap but have used a whole bottle and no change.All of my yellows and pink blends are suffering even the minis.PLease advise! - Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with thrips

The main predators of thrips are orius bugs (minute pirate bug and insidious pirate bug). These are flat black bugs about the size of a paper match head with a triangle design in the middle of the back. If you see some of these in the flowers, maybe they will gain control of thrips after a while. Usually thrips are less of a problem in the second flush.

Thrips populations apparently vary from year to year with the weather, and usually it is a temporary and minor problem in an organic garden. If it's intolerable for you this year, spraying the flowers and upper foliage every 2-3 days with pyrethrins (considered organic) will knock the population down. It will also kill the orius bugs if you have any.

Also see posts on this board about beneficial nematodes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here