Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornell Formula

Posted by livetogarden 5b Maple, Ont. (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 05 at 13:04

I am trying to find the Cornell Formula. I've been finding variations of it, including the one posted here:
Cornell Formula FAQ
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/rosesorg/2002060555024255.html

Others I've seen include:

To 1 gallon of water, mix the following ingredients:
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon horticultural oil
1 or 2 drops dishwashing liquid

To 1 gallon of water, mix the following ingredients:
1 tablespoon mild liquid dish soap
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon fish emulsion

I've seen other variations that include vinegar.

Is there one "cornell" formula?

Here is a link that might be useful: Modified Cornell Formula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornell Formula

There are all sorts of personal modifications, but the original formula, as published in research reports by Cornell University, translates to 2 tablespoons of ultralight horticultural oil (Sunspray oil is the brand they used) and 4 teaspoons (one heaping tablespoon) of Arm & Hammer baking soda in a gallon of water.

Originally, up to a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap was added in order to emulsify the oil in the case that the mixture couldn't be continuously agitated while spraying. That isn't necessary with current versions of most ultralight horticultural oils because they now contain an emulsifying agent (see the label).

Ron Jorgenson, a commercial grower in East Texas, later added a tablespoon of fish oil/seaweed emulsion, a few drops of Superthrive (a plant vitamin mix), and any necessary Bt soluion, terming the mixture the "Modified Cornell formula." Amateur rosarians have done all sorts of other things to the Cornell formula. Some may be good; some are bad.

o

Thank you very much for the explanation.

o

Any "modification" adding vinegar appears to be counter productive as the acid (vinegar) will just react with the base (baking soda) leaving a more dilute solution of which ever was added in excess.

o

From Mike Mcgrath at WHYY website;
The Cornell Formula.
In one gallon of water, mix and repeatedly shake:
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 drops dishwashing liquid or insecticidal soap
1 tablespoon oil. You can use vegetable oil, but horticultural oil will work better, especially one of the new lighter-weight "summer oils". (Cowboy Gardeners: Do NOT use motor oil or WD-40 or any other such foolish thing.)

o

I found an interesting article today on Yahoo news regarding the Cornell Formula. It kind of explains how it orginated. It seems that horticultural oil was dismissed early on in the research done at Cornell because of some "negative characteristics". It does not say what those were though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Formula article on yahoo

o

what is the Cornell formula used for? Is it eradication of bugs?

Joy

o

Joy, it is used as a fungicide.

o

The original Cornell Formula is now a commercial product. Here is the link for the original Cornell Formula.

Sengyan

http://www.hiagritech.com/pressreleases.htm

o

If you want to grow HT Roses and Climbers,one must spray! This formula is for mildew,but what about aphids,blackspot and rose slugs(midges)? I incorporate Safer's BTK or equivalent, (a natural Insecticide against midges-the green grubs which will eat your roses to the ground))into this spray along with some dish soap, and a little bit of horticultural sulphur, and cover all bases with one spray! The best I know of that works.

o

I thought this formula was for both insects, mildew and black spot. I've started using it for black spot so I hope so! I would think the hort oil takes care of the insects as well, no?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here