Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help salvage my Climbers

Posted by RoseWest z8 OR (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 05 at 14:49

I posted this on the regular forum and want to know if there's anything I can do organically to salvage 5 large climbers loaded with blackspot. Cornell formula is just not doing it (works great on my hybrid teas though). I waivered on the organic commitment and tried Bayer All in One which didn't help either. Don't want to spray a bunch of toxic stuff but really don't want to shovel prune even more (they are all blooming gloriously right now and my heart is breaking over the blackspot). Help?!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help salvage my Climbers

Sulpher is the most effective organic fungicide. It too has to be sprayed as a preventative, as that is how any fungicide works. From your list of climbers on the other thread though, I really think that thinning the herd is the way to go if you want to be organic. None on your list is in any way particularly resistant to disease, and fighting this fight with those roses is going to leave you frustrated. Or, really research (not the hearsay studies often posted on this forum) non organic methods of disease control which will allow you to keep your current roses. Not everything "organic" is safe, nor is everything "chemical" unsafe. Many of the newer high tech chemicals require less per dose, less often spraying, and have a much safer profile. It's all in the products you choose. Below is a scientific based site that gives you informatinon a wide variety of chemicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extonet

o

HollySprings: Hey, thanks for the link. I've put it in my Favorites and will spend some time there---looks useful for things other than gardening as well. You know, I had been using the sulfur as a dormant spray (or actually my 1st spray in Feb. after pruning)but a local rose society guy has been insisting that dormant spraying is a waste of time. I'll go back to it...

o

Once they are covered in blackspot, there is nothing organic or non-organic you can do. The key to control of blackspot is to spray before you see it. The goal is to prevent it, because you cannot reverse it once it hits. If you start spraying something now (organic or non-organic), it will protect the new leaves that are growing.

o

• Posted by msjean Z6..NS...Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 05 at 15:08

A lot of people claim that vinegar works wonders on heavy blackspotted bushes. Here's an old thread discussing it. It's worth a try...... :))

Here is a link that might be useful: vinegar for blackspot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here