Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cncnorman

In need of advice on post-transplant care

cncnorman
18 years ago

I just moved two old roses from my aunt and uncles house to our gardens. I understand the timing could have been better but it was either bring them home or they were gonna send them to the landfill. The only thing I know about them is that they are climbers that bloom twice a year - once in spring and again in late summer with red flowers that make hips afterwards. Oh, I also know that they are old - one was purchased as an anniversary present back in the late seventies or early eighties and the other one was from their grandmothers house with an unknown date but before the eighties.

We planted one bush in our lasagna bed and the other in what used to be a compost pile. They were both planted in full sun and ammeded with cornmeal and seaweed/compost tea and hasta grow. Now what? They have alredy bloomed once this year and are making the hip thingies - do I need to cut them back? I had to cut them back a few feet to get them out of the tangle of wires they were enmeshed in but one is still over eight foot tall. I appreciate ya'lls help.

Christina

Comments (2)