Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thrips control nematodes question

Posted by jillca 5a/Denver (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 15:16

I used to find information about thrips control using beneficial nematodes on a web site called hiredbugs.com. The website doesn't exist anymore in the form that I remember. No nematodes, just organic chemical sprays. Does anyone know/remember a company that has them and the actual name of the neatode that controlled them? If I remember correctly, there were two types of nematodes.

jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thrips control nematodes question

I just came across nematodes at gardensalive.com. There are apparently nematodes for the northern and southern areas.

Hope you find what you need!

o

It's at Natures Control. They have a button that says 'Our Hired Bugs' The 'double death' mix has two varieties of nematode. I put some on last week and I hope they work.

I got them cheaper by ordering them from a local dealer. The shipping is much more expensive if you order direct. They also have a button to find a dealer in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natures Control

o

HI,
I just transplanted lamb's ear to around my roses. It is suppose to contron thrips. I haven't had any changes to post, of course, for I did it yesterday. I've read quite a bit and found several sources recommending this for thrips.
Thanks

o

• Posted by
    organic-kiki Zone 6
    (gw:organic-kiki) on
    Sun, Jun 11, 06 at 20:09

Sweetpea, does it make a difference what kind of lamb's ear you plant? I know of 2 different blooming lamb's ears and recently saw one at the garden center that does not bloom. This sounds interesting.

Kiki

o

Kiki - You posting went to me, not sweatpea. I wouldn't plant lambs ears with roses - one is xeric (lambs ears), the other is NOT (roses). I have my roses underplanted with dianthus, creeping phlox, and lavender.

The nematodes recommended on the web sites are to be used in a environment with a humidity of 50-60% HA HA here in Denver. We have about 14% in the summer. Seems like they are more suited for a greenhouse environment.

Back to the Dr. Bonners. It seems to be helping some, but I have to be careful - with the heat, the soap lets the flower petals burn to a crisp.

jill

o

Jill,

Could you point me to where you read that the predatory nematodes require high humidity? I was only aware that predator mites required high humidity.

Thanks in advance,
Barb

o

i am putting the nematodes out today. gulf coast biotics. i don't know about the lambs ear. they really can harbor pests if not cleaned out of the dead under lying leaves.. i am moving/sping mine. ill let yall know about the 'todes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here