Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Tired of spraying. Can I keep any of these?

msrose
18 years ago

As I suited up in my chemical gear yesterday (respirator, gloves, glasses) I decided I was really tired of spraying my roses but I hate the thought of replacing all of the ones I have now. Are there any of these that would do well in a no-spray garden in Texas?

Purple Tiger

The Prince

Spanish Rhapsody

Fame

Traviata

Molineux

Double Delight

Radio Times

Sheila's Perfume

Rosie O'Donnell

Guy De Mauppasant

Angel Face

Pat Austin

Black Magic

Fragrant Plum

Yves Piaget

Hot Cocoa

Miss All American Beauty (I just bought this one and now I'm wondering if I should take it back).

Laurie

Comments (5)

• _sophiewheeler
    18 years ago

Your area is a bit dryer than mine, so I think a few that are on my "low maintainece" schedule might be able to be no spray for you.

Purple Tiger- Laughing horribly about this mutant disease magnet being no spray.
    The Prince- nope
    Spanish Rhapsody-maybe to nope
    Fame-nope
    Traviata-yep
    Molineux-maybe
    Double Delight-nope
    Radio Times-maybe
    Sheila's Perfume-nope
    Rosie O'Donnell-nope
    Guy De Mauppasant-nope
    Angel Face-hell no
    Pat Austin-yep
    Black Magic-maybe
    Fragrant Plum-nope
    Yves Piaget-nope
    Hot Cocoa-yep
    Miss All American Beauty-nope

The only ones that I grow no spray are Hot Cocoa, Pat Austin, and Traviata, and they all get spots, just not so many that it motivates me to spray them. Black Magic has pretty good disease resistance for a HT and if you also tolerate spots, you might get by without spraying. Ditto Radio Times. None of the rest are tolerable here and deleaf totally which compromises their winter hardiness and vigor. PT actually committed suicide, even with spraying. AF is my "lab mouse" for fungicide experiments because she is so prone to BS. None of the Melliland HT's with faux antique blooms was worth growing without spray other than Traviata.

The good news is that there is a whole wide world of roses that you CAN grow no spray and that will be just as rewarding to you. As long as you aren't fixated on HT bloomstyle, that is.

• msrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Holly Springs! I'm not fixated on the HT bloomstyle at all. In fact, I really like more of the full-petaled, old-fashioned rose form but I can't get used to the smaller blooms on some of the antiques. I've still gotta have good size blooms.

Laurie

• trytryagain
    18 years ago

It seems like every rosebush advertised in Park's or Wayside Gardens is "black spot resistant". Ha! What do you think about the French Romantica roses for BS resistance? David Austen's English roses? "Carefree Wonder"? To get true BS resistance, do I have to grow only the antique roses that have small flowers or bloom only a brief time?
    I enjoyed your humor about Angel Face, HollySprings! I agree with that. Angel Face is pretty & free-blooming, but the flowers fade in a day. I shovel-pruned mine.

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

Have you looked at Fields website about growing roses? Its not currently available but when it is you can learn lots.

• texasmorningglory
    18 years ago

Hello:
    I was looking for information about the rose Spanish Rhapsody, and I found your post. I live in hot humid South Texas. Have lots of roses all own root, I do not spray though I sometimes spread whole ground cornmeal around my roses. If you haven't tried this it works for me. Buy the cornmeal at your local feed store it's cheap in my area (Uvalde) about Six dollars for 50 lbs a cup or two around each bush you have the blackspot problem on. I hope this helps.