Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose rosette on Flower Carpet

Posted by Lainey_6b_VA z 6b VA (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 04 at 16:00

I have found one cane of Rose Rosette on a Flower Carpet Rose. I have pruned the cane and sealed it in a plasic bag. What should I do next? Am I going to lose all my roses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose rosette on Flower Carpet

If it's truly Rose Rosette, dig the whole rose up and burn it or seal it in plastic and dispose of it in the trash. Don't take chances, especially since you probably won't want to spray with Cygon. Be vigilant of any roses downwind of the infected one, and look upwind for the source and try to eliminate it if you can. Digging up multiflora isn't fun, but it'll help to keep your roses safer.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 26, 04 at 12:44

First, know that I'm not at all familiar with rose rosette.

However, now that I did an online search to see what the damage looks like, I'd like to suggest the possibility of herbicide damage -- namely Roundup or any other product which contains glyphosate -- this because the deformed growth looks very similar.

o

I have lost three English Roses to Rose Rosette Disease. There is no cure for it at this time. The advice given by HollySprings is right on. Just dig up the infected rose ASAP and dispose of it., it's very contagious. Make sure you get all the roots and be careful you remove the old soil and put new soil before planting a new rose in the same place. The disease is caused by a mite that thrives on multiflora roses and is spread by the wind...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here