Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsch

What to use for rust, besides sulfur?

elvie z9CA
19 years ago

Hi there everyone. I am looking for something I could spray on my rust prone roses where I don't need protective gear to spray with. That rules out sulfur, and any products containing it.

Does horticultural oil work on rust? I recall having read on the bottle it does, but I usually substitute canola oil in the cornell formula, and although it works great for mildew, it does not work on rust.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• michaelg
    19 years ago

I am not quarreling with your preferences, but, for information, the acute toxicity of sulfur is less than half that of baking soda, and it has absolutely no known chronic effects along the lines of tumors, mutations, reproductive effects, and the like. If it is sprayed rather than dusted, I don't think any protective gear beyond eyeglasses would be needed.

• elvie z9CA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MichaelG, no problem,I don't think you're quarreling, I appreciate all info. I am under the impression that sulfur isn't good to breathe, are you saying if I went out and bought a bottle of Safers rose fungicide, since its in a liquid form its fine to breathe, I would only need to use goggles? ( Pardon me if I have my facts jumbled, I haven't even looked at Safers lately, but I seem to recall it has sulfur in it)

• michaelg
    19 years ago

I wouldn't say it's fine to breathe, but we aren't talking about a poisonous gas here, rather about the possibility of mechanical harm that might come from inhaling too many particles. Inhaling a large amount of sulfur dust over a lifetime used to give lung disease to sulfur miners, before OSHA and all that. Likewise, breathing cotton dust gave lung disease to cotton mill workers, and coal dust to coal miners.

But sulfur for horticultural use carries the lowest level of label warning. Extoxnet, which is where we learned about the sulfur miners' problem, says that sulfur "is generally considered safe for routine use." Since I spray rather than dust it, I doubt that very much gets past my nose hairs.

Yes, the Safer fungicide is sulfur, or you can buy dry wettable sulfur or micronized sulfur and mix it with water. There is more information on this forum's FAQ.

• andrearose
    19 years ago

I am not entirely sure this works, because the rust might have gone away for other reasons, but I have treated it with 1/2 listerine, 1/2 water - I used it on my Eden Climber which is very rust-prone, and as I said..it *seemed* to work.

A

• michaelg
    19 years ago

Henry posted this recent EPA review of sulfur. I think it is pretty reassuring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sulfur re-registration review

• Mystyraine
    19 years ago

Neem oil

• ChrisA_MA
    19 years ago

Remember that the scent of hard-boiled eggs is (a very dilute) sulfur mist... and everyone visiting Yellowstone breathes in a very -strong- sulfur mist... sulfur is a fairly common thing to breathe, although above 'egg' concentration it gets pretty nasty-smelling.

The EPA facts are probably more useful objectively, but I thought these points might help put it in real-world perspective.

--Chris

• elgrillo
    19 years ago

You might use one of the non-sulfur remedies above for immediate relief, and apply prilled sulfur into the soil like any ferilizer. Too much can burn plants, but you won't have to breathe any dust. Raw sulfur applied this way will chase away a lot of insects and over time will lower the ph in alkeline soils.

El Grillo

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!