Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alfalfa meal

Posted by zucchini19 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 17:13

Hi All,

I really appreciate the info you are sharing here. Great help.

I have few roses and i would like to try the alfalfa tea for the first time, so where can i find this in meal/pellet form.

I have been searching for this in walmart...but no luck.

whats are the possible brand names, and grocery stores.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
zucchini.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alfalfa meal

You're looking in the wrong places. It is typically used as horse or rabbit food, so you need a feed store. Make sure it has no added salt.

o

Since this is an organic forum, thought it might be helpful to know that a poster on the Antique rose forum pointed out that Alfalfa is heavily contaminated with pesticides. I just purchased organic alfalfa meal today. 3 Brands that carry organic alfalfa are: Dr Earth, Whitney farms and EB Stone

o

um, maybe I should correct that. These brands probably use the word 'organic' descriptively for their alfalfa. I'm not sure the alfalfa itself was grown organically. Certified organic alfalfa can be purchased at Dirtworks.

o

Huttnem, I have tried to locate the thread on the Antique rose forum regarding 'alfala heavily contaminated with pesticides', and I can't find it. This is very upsetting news to me. I garden organically, and use alfalfa pellets all the time, including on my food crops. I DO NOT want to introduce pesticide residue into my garden! Where did this comment come from and was there anything to back up this claim? Thanks so much for any information you can provide.
Judith

o

bump

o

Hi I have gotten alfalfa meal from Gardener's Supply(Mail order) in the past, but it is expensive and I don't know if it is organic(Most of what they sell is). I already used it and threw away the bag.
roseberri

o

What is alfalfa meal for?

o

It is a soil amendment to add organic matter into the soil. It has an NPK value of approximately 3-1-2. Alfalfa also contains a high amount of a growth hormone, Triacontanol. By soaking alfalfa in water, the Triacontanol is released and the resulting "tea" is used by many rose growers to help stimulate the growth of a plant.

o

How often do you use the alfalfa meal.

o

There isn't really a schedule. It should be based on what your soil needs. But, most people don't follow that advice. Some people use it once a season, some use it once a month during the growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here