Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rochesterroseman

Seek advice for pest control

rochesterroseman
14 years ago

Another rose season is upon me, and I still don't have an effective way to control rose midge, thrips, and other rose pests. The midge are especially distubing since they eat the buds before they can even develop. I have tried insecticide soap, but it has no effect on midge, and partial effect on other insects, and it usually burns the leaves on my roses, so I regret everytime I use it. It's not a great solution.

Any ideas for me? Thank you.

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Insecticidal Soaps must make contact with the target insect to be effective. If the soap is "burning" the leaves it may be too strong a mixture or it may be because it is being applied at the wrong time. Insecticidal Soaps should not be sprayed when the sun is out full, on a hot day, just like many other pesticides. The commercial Insecticidal Soaps have about a 1 percent mixture in them and if what is applied is stronger than that, about 1 teaspoon of soap (not a detergent) in 1 quart of water, it can do harm to the plants leaves.
    If you have a continuing problem with insect pests look at the soil the plants are growing in to be sure it is what those plants need to grow strong and healthy so they are better able to resist these insect pests.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

One approach to dealing with midge is to plant once-bloomers such as gallicas and albas, These are easy to grow and rewarding.

Before synthetic insecticides, people in the Mid-Atlantic controlled rose midge by mulching with chopped tobacco stems.

The only other organic solutions that might have a chance to work are:

Azadirachtin extract of neem-- not regular neem oil, listed ingredient must be azadirachtin. I guess you would spray it on the new growth and buds weekly.

Apply an impermeable mulch of cardboard or newspaper in fall or very early spring-- no gaps. Cover with a light cosmetic mulch and renew every year.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

No serious organic gardener is going to use any tobacco products because of the harm they do to the environment. OMRI also says tobacco products are not to be used by any organic grower.
    Azadirachtin is one of many compounds found in the seeds of the Neem Tree, "Azadirachta indicahi".

• anewgarden
    14 years ago

What is
    OMRI?

Do you think Neem is harmful to bees?
    Thank you

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

OMRI is the Organic Materials Review Institute and it is the place every certified organic farmer goes to see if the product they wish to use is approved for use on a certified organic farm.
    Neem products can be harmful to bees.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Can be harmful to bees if sprayed on the flowers.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Okay..so where are we here?