Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valentine_gw

Botrytis blight, petal blight, flower blight et al

valentine
18 years ago

I am organic gardener, and this year, for the first time ever, I have a severe problem that seems to be botrytis blight. At first I thought I had powdery mildew, which is unwelcome, but not disastrous. I had been treating my bush roses organically and I thought I was gaining ground, when seemingly overnight, hundreds of buds and barely opened flowers on my glorious New Dawns turned brown. I consulted Field Roebuck's "Foolproof Guide to Growing Roses" and saw pictures of botrytis blight that look like what I have.

Have any of you organic gardeners had this problem? If so, what did you do? It's going to take me awhile to trim all the affected blossoms and canes, but that is my next step.

An odd thing that happened earlier this spring, that may or may not be related is that on a different, baby New Dawn, several of the blossoms had dark pink stripes on them. I didn't know what to make of it, but I have read that stripes on roses are caused by a virus--which one, I don't know. This rose is in our alley, right across from our neighbor's vegetable garden. It was very curious. Hopefully some of you have wisdom to share. I'll take all I can get.

Thanks,

K in East Dallas

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES