Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecorbeau

iceberg - floribunda?

K
18 years ago

I am looking for a white rose that is not a climber. I've seen iceberg listed as a climber and as a floribunda. Are there two different varieties?

Also, in this forum, there have been a lot of posts about how disease prone the iceberg climber is. If the floribunda is indeed a different rose, does it have better disease resistance for the southeast, zone 7?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• User
    18 years ago

Iceberg the floribunda sported (mutated) a climbing version. Both are in commerce. Neither is at all disease resistant in the South. Marie Pavie is a much better choice if you want no spray.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I checked out Marie Pavie and it looks pink to me. Does Ducher do well in the South with no spraying (other than Cornell or skim milk sprays).

• User
    18 years ago

Marie Daly is Marie Pavie's pink sport. Marie Pavie is white, although in earliest spring it can have a tiny pink blush to it. Ducher does spectacular in the South. But, it's a really big plant compared to Marie Pavie. Green Ice is another white that stays small, and if given some shade, will have that green tinge that gives it it's name. Jeannie d'Arc, the noisette is also good, as is Mme. Joseph Schwartz and Kronprincessen Viktoria and Clotilde Soupert (very light pink fading to white). For something large, Darlow's Enigma, Prosperity, Trier, Pax, or Sombreuil.

• trytryagain
    18 years ago

I have noticed that white roses are a magnet for every type of insect. They will zero in on the white ones in preference to any other color. Is this just my imagination? I quit trying to grow white roses.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the listing, Holly Springs. Did you mean Ducher's blossom is big, or that the plant gets big? I understood it would be about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.

Trytryagain, my neighbors have two roses, a red and a white, that they do nothing to, and they always look beautiful in the spring. I would try rooting one, but I'm looking for something that blooms more than just once. Also, doubt if they know the names because they just aren't into gardening at all.
    K.

• jillca
    18 years ago

I'm a bit further north, but my Iceberg has always been a problem free floribunda. It's about 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet. It's the 60+ other ones that I have 'problems' with LOL.

jill

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Iceberg is very troublesome in the East and South.

White roses do tend to attract thrips and Japanese beetles, but the ones HollySprings suggests are generally going to have fewer problems than white Hybrid Teas.

• scd_nc
    18 years ago

C-Kate

I just planted an Iceberg floribunda a few weeks ago (Lowes here in A'boro had marked down some beat-up J&P's to $5... couldn't resist), and have already - and successfully - gone through a bout of black spot. Even though I did the vinegar spray treatment the day before we got that long spell of scattered rain, it worked well. The bush is looking great now.

Of course, this is only meant as a local example, as feedback to your original question and is not intended to contradict the folks here who unquestionably know a lot more about the subject than my whopping 3 months of tending roses has taught me.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sam, I haven't been able to open the post about vinegar for black spot. How is it used?
    K.

• scd_nc
    18 years ago

Kate - From what I've read (mostly here - this place is GREAT!!!), it's 1Tbsp vinegar (I used plain ol' yellow apple cider type) to 1qt of water, and spray thoroughly. IIUC, the premise is that black spot requires a very narrow pH range to survive, and anything that raises or lowers the pH, even for a short time, can kill it. Others have said that it might take a second application, maybe a week later, which is why I was surprised at the success I had with one application followed by 4 or 5 days of rain!

-s

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Sam. I've been using the milk spray for my roses, but I'm seeing just a little black spot starting now on one of them. Maybe I'll try the vinegar spray and see if it has any better effect.
    K.

• User
    18 years ago

Sulpher is the only organic fungicide that works worth a hoot. All of the rest of those kitchen sink remedies belong down the sink in garbage disposal.