Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

has anyone used GreenLight (here are ingredients)

serenasyh
14 years ago

Hi, everyone! I just want to be sure that my "organic pesticide" doesn't kill any bees... I heard that the all-natural Neem oil kills bees and am worried about the oils in my new pesticide... I've been using it for 1-1/2 months now and only spray once a week because there's been soooo much rain... Plus I don't mind sharing a few holes so long as it's not a major infestation. I use GreenLight which lists: Thyme oil, clove oil, sesame oil, water, soybean oil, wintergreen oil, and lecithin. I do have to admit the smell of this stuff is quite overpowering and I try not to be too near it LOL! But I just was curious how many of you have used such a pesticide. I'm a bit worried about killing bees and my roses are starting to open up. I am thinking about taking a Qtip and coating just the outermost petals and the surrounding leaves to discourage the bad bugs and leaving the inner petals untouched. Or is that too weird, anal and cuckoo LOL! If you all think all this pesticide is o.k. then I won't resort to cuckoo behavior... Let me know, thanks!

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    14 years ago

"Whole neem oil" contains an insecticide, azadirachtin. In the US, most processors remove this fraction and sell it separately. The residual neem oil is no more insecticidal than corn oil and is harmless to bees visiting flowers. So you want to avoid spraying "whole neem oil" or "azadirachtin" on pollen that bees might collect. Regular neem oil is OK.

All oils are insecticidal in that they will smother small insects that are completely coated with oil. They have no effect unless directly sprayed on the insect. The product you have contains smelly oils that may repel certain insects but not necessariiy the ones you want to get rid of. However, if you spray it directly on aphids it will smother them. It will not hurt bees.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Neem Oil insecticides are broad spectrum poisons, they control many insect pests and non pests and do harm our bees. Neem Oil has low toxicity to humans, but is very harmful to our insects.
    That Greenlight looks to me to be more a repellant than an insecticde and would then be a better choice then a broad spectrum poison.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

kimmsr,

The information in my post is correct. The neem oils at most garden counters have had the insecticidal fraction (azadirachtin) removed. They are insecticidal only to the same extent as salad oil. (In other words, a ripoff.) By contrast, neem products listing the active ingredient "whole neem oil" or "azadirachtin" affect the development of immature stages of all insects and can be harmful to bees if sprayed on flowers.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

okay..so I can spray oil on my roses..olive oil or something?

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If Neem Oil products with the azadirachtin removed are no more insecticidal than corn oil why spend money on that product when the corn oil is much less expensive.
    Any product sold as an insecticide is meant to do one thing and that is kill insects and therefore that product is toxic and a poison, maybe not to us and so the USDA does not require the skull and crossbones on the label. Slapping a mosquito is highly toxic to that mosquito, it kills the bugger. If Neem Oil products with azadirachtin trmoved are non toxic why would anyone want to spend money on them.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

kimmsr, I use canola oil as a smothering insecticide, and it works-- 1-1/2 tsp. per quart of tepid water and a little dish soap. As far as I can tell, it works the same as the neem oils labeled "hydrophobic extract of neem" ( = without azadirachtin). It's possible the smell of neem might repel certain pests originating where neem grows naturally, but I don't know that we have any of those.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Mich, thanks for that recipe. I will get some canola oil..won't hurt my bees right?

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If you spray the bees with canola, or any oil, you could suffocate them just as you would any other insect. Due care is always needed when spraying anything meant to kill something, because if that substance will kill anything it will kill other, maybe not intended, things.
    Keeping in mind that a basic premise of organic gardening is that plants growing in a good, healthy soil will grow up strong and healthy and be less attractive to insect pests and plant diseases, if you need to constantly spray anything to control insect pests or plant diseases you need to look closely at your soil to see why.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

uh, Kimmsr, a healthy rose in healthy soil will still be very! attractive to insect pests... I wrote earlier that very sweet-perfumed, light colored roses are extremely attractive to thrips... On the other hand, thrips are turned off by intense blossom colors.. They don't nibble the fringes of my Lincoln blossoms and they don't touch my brilliant flame orange gladiolus and my Fragrant Cloud is likewise untouched (even its leaves)...Fragrant Cloud and Gemini have the exact! same soil, the exact same healthy growth and vitality, the exact same sun and fertilizer conditions. Gemini just has very soft-colored, very sweet-smelling blossoms whereas Fragrant Cloud's intense coral color gives thrips "visual migraine" lol! Lincoln, Aromatherapy have the exact! same soil...Aromatherapy attracts thrips because of its pink blossoms and very sweet, fruity aroma...Its neighboring Lincoln blossoms are untouched because the color of the blossoms are a turnoff...Again, insect pests are insects, they breed and live because they're well, insects! It's inviting beneficial insects and birds which make organic gardening the appeal...

Iris maybe with the canola oil what you need to do is just make sure there is no bee where and when you spray... and don't use canola on the blossoms... I just wanted to send you a big hug, because I know how frustrating and consuming organics can be when you have to go to each and every single rose bush and spray so selectively...but you will have a wonderful absolutely sensational garden with hurray, organics! Kimmsr and everyone else, I really feel for Iris and can sense her concerns... She has got a huge! amazing! selection of designer roses and her concern is to maintain a beautiful show garden yet still stay organic, and I hate to see her get frustrated. I just know that it takes time for young roses to get settled but once they do, they will leap regardless of the insects!

Iris, you can just call me Serena, hee-hee, I feel like Ser becomes Yessir! Lol!