Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i got coffee, i got tea, I got neem oil lookin' at me!

Posted by popny L.A.,Calif. (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 04 at 20:52

Yes,I'm ready and armed..Now! what goes first, last, all at once??
1) when do you put the coffee grounds after watering, before?
2) can you drench the soil with neem oil over the coffee, is that counter-productive?
3) my compost tea is standing in the wings, but doesn't know when to go on! lol POPNY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i got coffee, i got tea, I got neem oil lookin' at me!

You can put down the coffee, put down the tea - but I don't know about the neem.

o

I toss the coffee grounds on before watering.

o

• Posted by popny L.A.,Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, May 25, 04 at 0:22

Thanks you all! Another question brewing. How much coffee do you put down, and do you mulch or throw compost down, also? Do you put your coffee around all your plants, and does it stay there and you throw more on top from time to time? Thanks for your patience.
Bostonian, I thought neem got soaked into the soil also. NO? POPNY

o

Well i'm new at the whole coffee organic rose growing thing. When i brew a few cups i take out the filter and stick my hand in it and generally toss about to various plants.

Which reminds me since i go to the coffee shop on a regular basis i probably shoudl ask if they can save me their grounds:)

o

I dump the grounds on my lawn and rake them through. In the garden bed they have to be put on thinly or incorporated into the soil slightly or they mat together and don't let the water penetrate and mold a bit.
I've never used neem. I thought it was some plant derived insecticide.

o

Starbucks here in So Cal will provide you with free grounds if you call ahead and ask.

o

Neem oil should be diluted and sprayed on the leaves and stems to deter insects and fungal diseases. I've never heard of soaking the soil with it.

o

Put the coffee grounds down whenever you have them. I don't find them partucularly effective as a pest control but they do add organic matter and feed the plants.
When to use compost tea, or Neem, depends. What are you using the stuff for? Compost tea to keep fungi at bay can be sprayed anytime, except during the heat of the day. Neem oil used for pest control is best sprayed when the target insect is present, Neem oil sprayed for fungi control is the same as compost tea.
But be sure your soil is well amended with organic matter and is well balanced with nutrients so your plants grow strong and healthy and you won't need the rest of the stuff since the plants will simply not get bothered by most pests or diseases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here