Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burnt looking rose petals

Posted by cowgirlculture 8a (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 22:00

I am in hot west Texas in a drought but I water my roses three times a week deeply. I am using all organics of compost, Garrett juice, etc. however many of my roses petals look burnt on edges. Also, some buds look burnt and then won't open. Aphids are not too big of a problem but there are some really fast tiny light yellow bugs crawling on the petals. Is this just hot weather damage or can I do something to help them flourish. The leaves look beautiful and green. Thank you for your time and experience. Kelsey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burnt looking rose petals

From what I read, brown edges is a sign of potassium deficiency. EarthCo., the soil-testing company that tested my soil to be deficient in potassium, stated that 1/3 of soil are tested deficient in potassium.

Potassium helps plant to retain water. Best bet is to put fresh banana peels around rose bushes - they decay into a nice dark color. Hopefully the yellow bugs will eat the banana peels rather than your rose buds. I'll post some pics. on how to retain more water in a garden in my helpmefind account: Chicago IL 5a. If you search for HMF member with the name "Chicago", you'll see my garden and the pics. I posted.

o
RE: Burnt looking rose petals

Cowgirlculture, the fast tiny bugs may be thrips. They are almost microscopic, but can be seen running when you open rose petals. They are very difficult to eradicate even with pesticides which I won't use. Usually the damage is less later in the season when beneficial insects which prey on thrips show up.

You can find more information on the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does the damage look like this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here