Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants in my newly planted rose??

Posted by dadiri 6a Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 22:19

I've planted a few carpet roses a couple of weeks ago. I noticed today that around the roots of one of them ants are swarming... what do I do???? I understand they "like" aphids and that can create further issues so I really want to do something about it. It's the first year I've ever lived in a house (as opposed to an appartment), so I don't know how to deal with this sort of issue. Help, please!! (I live in Southwestern Ontario, if that makes a difference) Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants in my newly planted rose??

Why are the ants there? Ants, as a rule, are part of Ma Natures recycling team, not a problem that needs to be eliminated. If there is a large number assmebling in one place there is a reason and the gardener needs to look closely to see what that is.

o
RE: Ants in my newly planted rose??

dadri, ants are happy to explore and even settle in newly distrubed soil. Seeing an increase in ant activity in freshly tilled gardens or around newly installed plants is expected, and not usually anything to worry about.

Please know that ants and aphids don't necessarily go hand in hand. Inspect your roses frequently for aphids and keep them washed away. As for the ants, unless you have a large colony building up around your roses, I don't think I'd worry too much.

If there is a problem, try discouraging them by drenching the colony with water. Since you don't have the southern fire ant where you are, I don't think that any ant bait (even an organic one) is needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here