Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good basic book?

Posted by brandyray Coastal NC/8a (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 23:38

I have several rose bushes but could use some help on the pruning, bug treatment, etc. I have Westerland, Reve d'Or, Playboy, and several others. (I have a gorgeous red but I need to look through my receipts to figure out what it is- I would like 2 or 3 more of them). Anyway, would appreciate suggestions on a good basic book for rose care. Thanks, Brandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good basic book?

Someone recommended me Field Roebuck, "The Complete Roses ..." It's available at most libraries. I borrowed mine through inter-library loan. You'll enjoy it, lots of good pics, very well-written.

o

I highly recommend The Organic Rose Garden by Liz Druitt, Growing Roses Organically by Barbara Wilde, and A Year of Roses by Stephen Scanniello.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 13:22

If you have one within a reasonable distance, to you, find a local used book store and browse through their gardening section.
I say this as I have one here and there are books there that are no longer in print and sometimes those have items that are no longer popular and therefore omitted from many new books.
It sometimes also give you an idea how it was done in the old days (Old now being twenty or fewer years ago:-)

o

I appreciate all the great advice. I ordered the Field Roebuck book, A Year of Roses (for the lyrical writing), and The Organic Rose Garden.
(The used book stores around here only carry paperbacks, and don't carry any gardening books- it was a good idea, though.) I am looking forward to my new goodies arriving (I love gorgeous books!).
Meanwhile, I better pull out my clematis book and read up on pruning my clems, and also my vine book and try to figure out what in the world to do w/ my wildly overrunning honeysuckle hedge. Thanks! Brandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here