Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecorbeau

Altissimo in NC zone 7

K
18 years ago

Has anyone had success with this rose in the middle of NC?

Comments (11)

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to ask: can it survive the winter in a container?

• michaelg
    18 years ago

It's a good rose, but you may need to spray something regularly to control black spot (sulfur, copper soap, or antitranspirant--see the FAQ). Roses in large pots are generally OK in zone 7b, but an extraordinarily hard cold spell might kill the roots.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, MichaelG. I'd like it on my patio against the brick of the house - southern exposure. I'm running out of full sun.
    K.

• User
    18 years ago

It's an awkward grower even under the best conditions. The canes are really stiff and upright and naked at the bottom. It's really best suited as a pillar type rose. And, yes, it will need spraying. That, and it's infection with RMV were why I shovelpruned it, despite it being a sentimental favorite. Altissimo provided my first blue ribbons in a rose show, and it is still a big winner in the climber class in many shows today.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's the color that I'm after. Is there a better rose for this climate that has that bright red? I don't know how to name the color, but it's a more orange red than most red roses, and yet, it's not orange.

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Possibly Dame de Coeur, a small hybrid tea that is supposed to be disease resistant, or Ole (accent mark, I don't do floors or HTML). I haven't seen the Dame, but Patricia43 loves it, and she would be able to compare the color with Altissimo if you email her (see Antique Roses Forum). It is fragrant. Ole might be a little more orange than you want.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dame de Coeur is beautiful, but the description I read says it turns to burgundy.
    What do you think about Showbiz or Lichterloh? I would be able to find a place for these in the garden beds since they're so much smaller, so the container question isn't relevant. Just need to know if they would be good for no-spray.
    Thanks.
    K.

• User
    18 years ago

Showbiz or Trumpeter would work OK if you can tolerate some spots. Both have half decent disease resistance. The polyantha Leonie Lamesch has tones of that color red in it along with oranges and salmons. It's really a bright spot in the garden that defies categorization. The Kordes shrub Bischofsstadt Paderborn is also scarlet. It's got decent disease resistance, but is slow to get started.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both so much! I am putting the question to my daughter who wants that particular color.
    I did find another Kordes in that color: Kordes Brilliant. Would this also be disease resistant here?
    You've been so helpful.
    Thanks again.
    K.

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Dang, I have been avoiding Dame de Coeur because I thought it would clash with my crimson roses, so thank you for that information.

• K
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Michael G.,
    I've always just categorized vermillion, scarlet and crimson as "red," and never took the time to find the difference. Now I see the need. (They weren't in the Crayola big pack when I was a kid.) However, even when colors are described in names I know, I discovered people don't always see things the same. And photos aren't always accurate either. Probably the safest way to be sure of the color is to see the blossom before buying.
    K.