Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown on Rose Buds

Posted by mysticangel Missouri (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 9:21

This is my first attempt at growing roses. I've always heard they are difficult and I have a brown thumb. This year I decided to add 3 new rose plants to my garden and really have no clue as to what I'm doing.

They look healthy, leaves shinny and green but the new buds coming in are brown around the outsides on one of the plants. The plant on the other end does not seem to have this but they are different varieties. We built a bed for the roses and planted clematris behind them on a trellis. The soil is light mixture of Miracle Grow potting soil and purchased top soil. With this "rich" of a soil I am not sure if to add coffee grounds etc this year or to wait for a couple of years to start adding nutrients? I'm so clueless.

Should I spray with something? I've read about vinegar, baking soda, milk and its pretty confusing as to what to do for this. Maybe some rose buds just look brown (rust like) on the outsides before the open up???

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Polly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown on Rose Buds

It is either an insect called thrips or a fungal disease called botrytis. I would bet on the thrips. you can search from the main "Organic Rose Growing" page on "Thrips" to see what comes up. I'm not aware of any organic controls, although there is a recent thread on using nematodes for thrip control.

o
RE: Brown on Rose Buds

Thank you Diane, I'll go get some spray from one of the local greenhouses. I looked all over the three plants for bugs and didn't see any but it could be that they are so small that I can't see them? I don't know????? what I don't know???? Hope this rose growing thing will get easier. Maybe I'll cut one of the buds off and take it with me to the greenhouse.

Thank you again for your help with this.

Polly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here