Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone tried Pam against aphids?

Posted by chenchen3529 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 9:44

My 14 Knock Out roses have rose slugs. I tried garlic water spray that didn't seem to work. I found this message from our forum. Dose anyone tried Pam against aphids?

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:rWgyOflAhecJ:forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesorg/msg0507465724734.html+sprinkling+flour+on+the+rose+bushs&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone tried Pam against aphids?

I use a few drops of palmolive dish soap in a water filled spray bottle. Day one spray (kills the live bugs)
Day two spray (kills any newly hatched eggs)
Day three brush off dead bugs with a soft paintbrush and spray (to prevent re-infestation). The pam could possibly work as well, coating the wings and killing the bugs, plus making it difficult for them to adhear to and penetrate the leave & buds. I spray the leaves every other day anyway, so I just added the soap to my bottle.

o
RE: Anyone tried Pam against aphids?

Since knocking Aphids off a plant with a sharp water spray (a hand held sprayer works very well for this) there is no good reason to use something like a non stick spray. Adding garlic to water and dousing the wee buggers is not going to do much of anything. Adding some soap (1 teaspoon per quart of water) might, but even more effective is just plain old water with the sprayer set for straight stremm and knock the wee buggers off the plant.
Since Aphids are drawn to lush green growth that could be an indication there is an overabundance of N in your soil, ie. a soil with unbalanced nutrients causing your Aphids problem.

o
thank you for the interesting link...

chenchen just wanted to thank you for the link... I found it a great read and have added it to my clippings as well. I loved how Pacmom23 conducted her "experiment". I do something similar whenever I want to test out the effectiveness of a product. She and I would be "best buddies", LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here