Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super low-maintenance tall shrub rose with fragrance?

Posted by elizabethaw zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 12:06

Hi Rose People!

I have grown many roses over the years and found that most of them take too much work on my part. I love the fragrance, but I don't have enough time to take care of them. Of the many I've planted, 'The Fairy' and 'Blanc Double du Coubert' remain.

'Blanc' lives on the side of my house, and I seldom venture over there. There's a fairly wild shady garden next to that side of the house, and I'd like to hide it from my ultra-tidy neighbors. I could plant a few more 'Blancs,' but I'm thinking it might be nice to have something taller. I love fragrance, but I could even let that go in favor of a rose that would make a nice tall screen and not require anything from me.

Another rugosa, since Blanc is still going strong despite utter neglect?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super low-maintenance tall shrub rose with fragrance?

Predfern lives in my Chicagoland area, zone 5a. He doesn't spray nor winter-protect his roses. He gives detailed info. about each rose in his Gardenweb member page, see the link below.

Here's a very short excerpt from his member-page, his list is very long, best to click on the link below: "I have the following roses in my garden 2003 (I do not spray or winter protect). This is my second year growing roses:

Pierette Pavement - Lots of big, beautiful, wonderfully fragrant blooms all season. Average blooms size 4" but I have had a few 5 inchers! Show me a better Rugosa hybrid and I will buy it.

Snow Pavement - Lots of very fragrant, beautiful white blooms with a pink blush. Gets some blackspot near the end of the season."

It sounds like your soil is acidic, since you mentioned Rugosa, so I recommend Predfern, who also grows Rugosa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Predfern list of roses grown in zone 5a

o

Hansa is another Rugosa that folks like, nice reddish purple color.

Roses Unlimited has a sale $8 gallon-size own-root last June....delivered to your house with blooms! They will have that sale soon, either 2nd week or 3rd week of June. Kordes Roses are very disease-resistant..... Roses Unlimited sale is sold out fast ... they won't take orders through e-mails ... phone calls only, and checks sent through mail only. It's the rose vendor with the most customer satisfaction, 25 years in business.

If you google, "the scoop on ..... "name of nursery", that will give you people's reviews of any nursery in the country, be it bulbs, perennials, or roses.

Best to call Roses Unlimited when the sale starts this month, and ask for the type of roses you want, and they will recommend, 1/2 off own-roots, which are much healthier than grafted on Dr. Huey.

See below link for Roses Unlimited' vast selection:

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited own-root roses

o

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here