Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schultz 14-24-24 rose food

Posted by jill_wingett none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:18

Does anyone use this? The directions say 1 tsp per 2 gal water, every time you water. That seems like a lot of fertilizing to me!
I know many of you will say to just improve the soil - I'm doing that already, adding lots of compost, etc.
I found this when cleaning out my folks garage & my dad always had beautiful roses, so I thought I'd try it on mine. I'd ask his advice, but he passed away recently, so that's not an option. Anyone have experience with this product? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schultz 14-24-24 rose food

Hi Jill: I used MiracleGro 18-24-16 last summer for my pots. It said to use 1 Tablespoon per gallon, which was way-too-much. My roses bloomed VERY WELL with half-the-dose recommended.

I prefer MiracleGro over Schultz because MiracleGro has CHELATED iron, and chelated manganese which are tied-up when my tap water is alkaline. MiracleGro soluble food for roses with chelated trace elements helped to keep the leaves green.

If your roses are in pots, salt build-up can happen if used weekly. And if your roses are in the ground, heavy clay like mine .... it would retain the salt also.

The Chicago Botanical Garden with 5,000 roses recommend using soluble fertilizer 20-20-20 only 3 times per year for cold zone 5 .... for roses in the ground.

Chamblee nursery in Texas recommends soluble fertilizer only once every 2 weeks for gallon-sized roses .. but withhold the fertilizer when the heat is intense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here