Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spinosad for sawfly/roseslug - success

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 12:32

Last year I posted here about a significant problem I was having with my roses: the leaves would end up lacy, brown, skeletonized and the plant would eventually defoliate, although I would never see any visible insects. Several people pointed to the rose sawfly or roseslug larvae as the likely culprit. It wasn't at all uniform - different roses had remarkably different susceptibility to this pest, the most vulnerable being "William Baffin".

This year as soon as the damage began to appear I did a single application of Spinosad in May(this was before any flowers had appeared so no bees were around). It stopped the damage in its tracks; I left one plant unsprayed as a control and it is now almost leafless.

So, can others add their opinions? Does this pest(s) breeze through in the spring and then disappear for the year making second applications unnecessary? Would you recommend other alternatives (hort oil, soap?) as equally effective?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spinosad for sawfly/roseslug - success

What exactly is Spinosad? Is there a brand name for it? It is organic?

o

Many companies are marketing products with Spinosad as the primary active ingredient. Yes, it is organic. It's a biological bacterium agent that primarily affects chewing insects.

o

I've tried Rose Pharm spray, and I think it did help. It contains peppermint oil and glycerin.

I recently started using Jungle Rain Clean Leaf Spray for the occasional Japanese Beetle, it might work on sawfly as well.

o

Dusting with kitchen flour might be something to try.

o

Spinosad is certified organic by most organic farming regulators. It is a relatively specific insecticide that is most active against sawflies, caterpillars, and thrips, but I wouldn't apply it to open flowers because it is somewhat active against bees.

Rose slugs in my garden are generally controlled by wasps picking them off. Also you can just wipe the underside of infested leaves. Spraying spinosad could be useful on large plants that are susceptible. Brands include Bulls Eye, Fertilome Bagworm Borer, and Monterrey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here