Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

When can I spray?

barb_roselover_in
18 years ago

I think I read somewhere that you should not use anything with oil in it in extremely hot weather. If this is true, when can I spray the Cornell or anything like that? Would appreciate hearing. It has been in the nineties here. My roses look like they have had it. - Barb

Comments (5)

• habitat_gardener
    18 years ago

I've used liquid kelp as a foliar feed in my veg garden, and I've planned to make some aerated compost tea as a foliar feed but haven't gotten around to it.

When it gets in the 90s around here (rarely), it helps to spray plants with water in middle of the day to cool them down, otherwise they can burn in the unaccustomed heat -- have seen hydrangea leaves curl up and turn brown on a hot day.

The rose buyer at a local nursery recommends Maxsea 16-16-16 solution (1 tbsp to 1 gal water) as a foliar feed every 7-14 days. (She also uses Dr. Earth Rose and Flower Fertilizer with Mycorrhizae to feed the soil and roots.) She says this has eliminated serious mildew problems her roses had had before.

She also recommends an early-morning spray of water on roses, which she says discourages aphids and spider mites and reduces or eliminates the need for fungicides and pesticides in her garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yamagami's Nursery

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Habitat, for answering my post. I am not familiar with the products you mentioned because we live in a different area of the country, I presume. I will look into this. I always hesitate to spray water on the leaves because of the blackspot, but I don't believe a spray of water will do any more damage than what has already been done. I have looked for the kelp or seaweed, but have not been able to find it here. Thanks again - Barb

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Water on the leaves is good if it will dry in less than eight hours, but bad on humid evenings where it may stay all night and germinate black spot spores.

If it is extremely hot (overnight low around 80), fungus diseases don't spread readily, so you can spray less or not at all. However, Cornell mixture could probably be used in the morning if the soil holds plenty of water.

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

When you spray is determined by what you are spraying for, although a general rule of thumb is to never spray during the heat of the day, roughly after 9:00am or before 6:00pm.
    What would you want to spray the Cornell formula for?

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kimmsr - I understood that the Cornell spray would help with the blackspot. We are having such swings in temperatures and extremely hot weather--little rain, that I thought I needed something to help. They are looking pretty sick - Barb

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH