Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help save my drowned roses!

Posted by tracywag Z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 12:49

We've had a bit of rain here lately (14 inches or so)and my roses went from glorious to nude. During the torrents, a fungus problem went wild. I know I need too clean all debris, but what else can I do? Hard prune? Light prune? Extra feeding, ???

Any help is appreciated,
Tracy in soggy Binghamton NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help save my drowned roses!

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 15:32

I'd suggest you wait with any pruning until the roses "tell" you what wood is still alive.

o

Thanks Jean. I don't mean to sound stupid, but how? The stems are all still green. The leaves are infected with black spot or have dropped. My concern now is saving the bushes. They are five year old climbers, if it makes any difference.

o

Here is a formula to put in the ground and spray the plant itself to help with any fungus happening due to soggy dirt:

32oz. water
2 caps of Neem Oil (dyna-grow brand) it is all natural and organic
use the 8oz jug cap
pour about 1/2 cup of the mix in the soil

Things to help drain the water
1. when all else fails...replant the plants in a drier area
2. try to dig around the outer base of the roses and below the roots and fill the dug out area with course gravel to drain off excess water
3.do this no matter what...push back any mulch on top of the bed to help dry out
4. some potting soils for all use, are bone dry...use that type to place on top of the bed to help soak up the water.
5. check out from the local nursery if alittle gypsum will help dry up the excess water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here