Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

New roses in your garden & old favorites?

strawchicago z5
9 years ago

I got my first bloom of Barcelona (Francis Dubreuil), it was too small to photograph, so I pinched all 4 buds to promote root growth. The scent was fabulous: spicy Old rose, similar to Gruss an Teplitz .. the color was deep red.

I got my first bloom of Rose du Roi today, the scent is lesser than Francis Dubreuil. It blooms lower on the bush, typical of Old Garden roses. See picture below of Rose du Roi, center red, next to purple Old Port rose (left side). The orange blooms are Crown Princess Magareta. Upper red bloom is Stephen Big Purple, and lowest red bloom is Wise Portia (an Austin rose). 2 Pinks are Evelyn, and salmon-pinks are Christopher Marlowe.

Comments (48)

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

You have quite a lot of lovely roses, love them all!!!
    Time to smell them, it is heaven on earth, thanks for sharing, your Rose du Roi has the deep pink purple hue in it, good color, similar to Rose de Rescht, but I think my Rescht is smaller 2", could not tell the diameter of Roi.
    Please keep more photos coming!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Fantastic Straw! Those blooms all look great! Fruit Salad for the nose! :-) Only new rose we got lately was Thomas Affleck...

Even though our Mister Lincoln has been very fussy and I placed him in a container so I can move him we do like his red fragrant blooms... Hopefully I can get him to bloom more in a container and get the blooms to last a bit longer on the bush...

Thomas Affleck:

{{gwi:282537}}

{{gwi:282538}}

MISTER LINCOLN:

{{gwi:249183}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 18:50

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I remember Mr. Lincoln as being a tall & elegant bush at the rose park. It has a nicer red-color than my Firefighter. I like everything about Firefighter, except for the dusky red color. See below:

9 years ago

Our Mister Lincoln is own-root and on the short side.
    When he was in the ground the tallest Mister Lincoln ever got was 3ft-3.5ft...
    Now ML is in a large container...

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

http://rogersgardens.com/garden/rogers-gardens-recommends/top-ten-tomatoes/
    Thought you would want to try some of the tomato, love that Cherokee Purple, was my favorite last summer,
    Enjoy both your gorgeous Mister Lincoln and Thomas Affleck, Jim, thanks for sharing!!
    Dear Straw, lucky roses of bouquets under your TLC, love & enjoy the eye candies, thought dusty red of Firefighter is very attractive color too! Wish I could smell the scent!

Here are roses in my Southern CA garden: Mister Lincoln, Touch of Class, Rainbow Sorbet, Bronze Star, Tiffany, Munstead Wood, Prospero, Endeavour, Liebeszauber, small mauve Love Potion right below Bronze Star. (Top to bottom, left to right, in order):

This post was edited by seaweed0212 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 13:46

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Thanks Strawberryhill for the uploading! Glat that I woke up this morning to see Mister Lincoln smiling, not as gorgeous as Jim's, but the strong scent made up the excitement of this dark red rose.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

The correction of my roses, this morning, it is Just Joey, not golden Bronze Star, apricot blend sweeter hybrid tea scent, not spicy fragrance.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

here is Bronze Star in June.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Seaweed: I like both: Your Just Joey has many petals, and your Bronze Star with the deep orange color. I have King Arthur floribuda ... with orange blooms, will post when it opens.

My favorite orange is Versigny, fruity scent is even better than Pat Austin. Roses pictured below: Orange Versigny, red Firefighter, pink Liv Tyler, and white Bolero. Bolero bloomed early in May, same time as Austin roses. They were fertilized with equal ratio of gypsum to sulfate of potash:

9 years ago

Great looking roses Seaweed!

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Versigny has a form like David Austin rose, just find out from HMF site the parents are Graham Thomas x Davidoff, no wonder, Austin's trait. I pay more attention to Bolero, part of Romantica series, it has good fragrance, right? Love my Sombreuil even it is a Tea rose/climber, one of my favorite Teas.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Seaweed: I would love to see your pic. of Sombreuil, since my zone is too cold for tea. Bolero smells like water-lilies, but NOT as good as its parent Sharifa Asma. New red rose is Gruss an Teplitz, one spray can perfume the entire room, a nice old-rose scent. I could not eat in the kitchen since the rosy-scent was so strong, had to move that bouquet elsewhere. Purple is Old Port, and white is Bolero floribunda:

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 23:13

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An old favorite is Annie L. McDowell, 3 pink sprays make fast bouquet. The scent is unique: lavender & lilac. My all-time favorite scent is Yves Piaget seeding (leftmost red) ... the most delicious grape juice & red wine & sweet pea ... so satisfying !!

I have too many perfumy & baby-powder roses that I lean toward the yummy fruity scents. I never get sick of smelling Yves Piaget seedling, a notch better than Golden Celebration, plus Yves seedling is 100% thornless.

9 years ago

Bowl full of nice scents! :-)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Glad you like that fragrant bowl: Yves seedling (left red) has the best scent, next is Sonia Rykiel (big pink) with raspberry rose scent.

Another yummy bouquet: Orange Versigny below is 3rd rank in scent ...will have to order than again from Roses Unlimited (it died this past winter, poor location). Versigny smells better than freshly-baked apricot pie !!

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 22:55

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

When I ordered roses from Rogue Valley early spring, they have choice of mystery rose, I named it after a very nice lady "Kay", when she comes to visit, I will show her, a rambler, vigorous repeat bloomer, single 5 petals, bud is light orange & yellow blends and faded to pink blend, dia. one inch to 1.5 but distinct fresh scent is delightful. The best look when it half opens, this one fully opens, not much of color tone.
    Thank you Straw for uploading the pics, make it easy for me!!

9 years ago

Loaded with scents Seaweed! Very nice! :-)

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Roses picked this Sunday, June 29: Orange blend VooDoo, white star Madagascar Jasmine.

Pink edge top Princess de Monaco, center Nicole Carol Miller (new rose this year), Left 2nd row is Maggie Barry.

Bottom left, Our Lady of Guadalupe, then purple Angel Face.

strawchicago z5 thanked seaweed0212
  • seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Another shot of Nicole Carole Miller, my new rose this year. This bouquet was picked July 2.

top, L 2 R: Red Masterpiece*, Nicole Carol Miller*, Deja Blu (mini)

2nd row: Heirloom, mini pink*, Yves Piaget, the Squire* & C R Mackintosh

3rd row: Lavender Pinocchio, & Why not Cherise.

* indicated from yesterday's cut rose

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Seaweed, for that wonderful bouquet from your garden of 160+ roses. I love the dark-pink colors of Yves Piaget and Why Not Cherise. How's the scent on those 2?

CR Mackintosh color is such a pretty lavender, like your Nicole Carol Miller. I hope to get CR Mackintosh soon .. that Austin rose should be hardy in my zone 5a.

I'll post a close-up of my favorite new rose this year, Jude the Obscure ... it lasts 4 days in the vase, thanks to my putting gypsum (calcium sulfate) in the planting hole:

9 years ago

Voo doo is bright seaweed! All great looking blooms!

Nice Strawbhill! You two always have near perfecr blooms!

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Here's a bouquet for all the organic-growers out there, from my southern CA garden:

Very blue Passion Fruit flower on the left side. Also white with lavender center, on the right side.

2 Princess de Monaco roses on each side of TM rose,

Yves Piaget rose is deeper pink. Left is few days old's Austin C R Mackintosh. Right is freshly cut Austin Tess, and the ittle mauve is Love Potion.

9 years ago

Great choices for your bouquet Seaweed!

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Funny that I have no choice but obeying to Roses's happy blooming from this morning, what you see is what my garden offered, lots of them are taking the sweet break, and I have to wait every day eagerly & see what I can get, no choice at all. Thank God, the white/lavender Passion Fruit Flower is cut from my next door neighbor, I offer the couple some fresh roses from time to time, they give me all the Passion Fruits enough to feed few friends & I since they do not eat the fruit at all, lucky us.
    To Straw: You know what YP smells, right? Strong sweet scent. Not easy to describe, subjective sense, Why not Cherise has fruity scent, but also need to smell in person.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Anna Promise rose is gorgeous, well shaped, fruity scented, what more can I ask for a gift. It has ruffled petals like Yves Piaget. The scent is fruity notes of apple, and Anna Promise is bigger than About Face rose.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Seaweed: I adore your Anna's Promise rose and the scalloped & ruffled petals. It's a gem ... I love fragrant orange roses. My Crown Princess Mag. is more like yellow, it gets orange only when the weather is cool.

Thank you so much for blessing this forum with pics. from your garden of 160+ roses. What are your favorite scents, and what are the best performers in your garden in southern CA? Thanks for the info.

Below is my favorite new rose, Yves red seedling, 100% thornless, shiny disease-resistant leaves, and awesome scent (red wine & grape juice & sweet pea):

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 11:10

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Neptune rose (blue) and Dream Come True (bi-color) are old favorites in my garden, see below bouquet cut July 10:

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

New own-root rose in my garden: Evelyn. Love the fruity scent.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Old favorite rose in my Southern CA garden: Austin rose, The Endeavor.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Another old favorite: Moonstone rose.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Not bad against pink Carnation background ... Annie L. McDowell rose is not that showy, but Austin rose, Tess is the shining star, I love Annie's scent, she has a lovely perfume.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Thanks again and again for uploading the photos for me, I have been so surprised at them, how God manifest the beauty in these roses. Lucky we are to witness the glimpse of heaven! And no need to spray chemicals, if you spray it, you also poison yourself by sniffing. Why do it? The beauty in nature should never be ruined by chemicals or insecticides.
    I adore your Yves red seedings, such special deep pink, keep them coming, YOU have the magic touch with your beautiful roses! Thanks for sharing!

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

The Endeavour has been a blessing, likes to bloom, saw the only one bare root at Armstrong garden center in 2010, the clerk showed me the catalogue, I have not heard of it then, this rose has strong spicy fragrance and intense coral pink, love it as time prove its value.
    What is my favorite scented rose? I do not want to offend my roses in the garden, I have to say, I love them all, except some would not bloom as often, or keep me waiting, sure, with your help, Straw, Noisette Mrs Wood bloomed after staying green only over few years, I am very grateful to your knowledge of growing roses.

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

More about the Endeavour, Leander hybrid, English David Austin introduced in 2006, it is an extremely floriferous variety, copied from Austin's catalogue 2011, prefer warm weather, 4x 3 ft, not as an old rose.

9 years ago

I'm enjoying the recent pics of your roses Seaweed!
    Very nice! :-)

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

Thanks Jim for the compliment, me too! They are from God, so I am very pleased to be able to capture the beauty, love to share with all the roses lovers.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my new rose Carding Mill, received Friday, July 18 from Heirloom-free-shipping-sale. That's 3 weeks ago, and I got my 1st bloom today, Sunday August 10:

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Pretty bloom on Carding Mill!

strawchicago z5 thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I missed that pic... Nice first bloom on Carding Mill Strawbhill!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finally got more blue color on the lavender rose by dropping the soil pH with sulfate of potash & molasses & brewer's yeast. Costly mistake which induced black spots, but I got the blue color I want, pic. taken today Sept 6, with temp. near 90, hot & dry:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The above is Yves Seedling, fantastic grape-floral scent (like a delicious wine). It's my old favorite for the past 4 years, very winter-hardy. Yesterday I went to local Menards, I bought "Blue Girl", "Sundowner", and "Heirloom" for $7 each (grafted on Dr. Huey).

I had Heirloom own-root which died through my zone 5a winter. For hybrid-tea, I prefer buying it cheap at local stores, grafted on Dr. Huey ... they survive winter best.

Also bought "Fragrant Cloud", "Gold glow", and "Double Delight" from Walmart for $5 each ... my 2 own-root Double-Delights' died that cold & dry winter few years ago.

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
    7 years ago

Here is my picture of Alnwick Castle. I like this DA rose the best. It grows good in a cold climate. The other David Austin roses I will show pictures too. I have Heritage, The Mayflower, Wedge wood .

I want to get Munsted Wood, Gertrude Jekyll, and Winchester Cathedral.

strawchicago z5 thanked Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sam: That's the best bush-shot of Alnwick rose. so many blooms. How do you like the scent? I'm going keep my eyes opened for outdoor-wood-burner at Craig's list. My neighbor has a small open one (a circular one with feet) which he got at garage sale, and he got lots of wood-ash from that small fire-pit. But that has to be stored inside a garage, 2 neighbors had to trash their metal-fire-pits, since they got rusty in the rain.

There's a picnic area with a public fireplace nearby, will have to check if there's wood ash inside that fireplace. We go past that park when I go to the Spice House to get spices.

I've just spent 1 hour drilling hundreds of holes on my plastic pots ... roots need air to grow big. Can't find the fast-draining pine-based potting soil, so I just have to cope with slower-draining MG-moisture control (sold cheap at Sam's club $!1 for a HUGE BAG twice the size at Walmart). Jude the Obscure is an old favorite, 2 own-root Jude died on my zone 5a winter, so I try 2 more own-roots this year, but will winterize them inside my garage ... I'm addicted to Jude's scent. The pink ones are Annie L. McDowell rose (thornless):

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    7 years ago

The small pink on the right? Gorgeous!

strawchicago z5 thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
    7 years ago

I like that Jude the Obscure. The Alnwick Rose has a hint of raspberry scent. It is sweet thank-you.

strawchicago z5 thanked Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bump up this thread to admire Seaweed's basket of many roses .. she did a good job with Evelyn (I gave her that). The fish emulsion she used made Evelyn color looks so good. Her Bronze Star has many petals .. I might try Bronze Star again (that's drought-tolerant) and didn't like the wet clay so it died. Bronze Star was more enjoyable than Lady of Shallot.

Seaweed's Nicole Carole Miller picture (way up the post) is so blue, much bigger bloom than Deja Blue (more like deep pink). Deja blue is a minflora, so it's own-root. Her Nicole Carole Miller is grafted on Dr.Huey, thus more acid secreted to shift bloom to the blue-zone.

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Soooo lovely!

There are some unidentified lavender ones of Straw's that have a "wow" color. Also love that last bouquet with the smaller pink ones on the right.

Sam's Alnwick Castle really caught my eye also, just beautiful.

strawchicago z5 thanked lavenderlacezone8