Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
inchworm?

Posted by lolear 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 14:38

The tiny green inch-worm-looking thing was eating my rose bud! Not the leaf but the unopened flower! I saw previous posts that described something like it and identified as rose slugs, but those seemed to be effecting the leaves. Is this the same? Best solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: inchworm?

Typically, inch worms (true caterpillars) are the culprit of rose bud damage. These little insects look quite different from rose sawflies, at least to me. Regardless, inspection and hand removal is helpful, especially if you've only observed one or two.

How many roses do you have?

o

I've only seen the one so far, will keep an eye on it, though. I have 3 roses, all different kinds, I don't know what they are since they came with the house... If I post pics perhaps someone can ID them for me? Thanks!

o

Post a picture...we LOVE pictures! If you can't post one, then feel free to email them to me directly.

o

I have some pics just posted on the "roses" forum titled "id these roses". Thanks!

o

It's probably the tobacco budworm, and they're very difficult to control. The moth actually lays the eggs in unopened buds, so they're eaten from the inside out.

If you apply BT, it usually doesn't faze them because they're not eating the part of the plant that has BT on it.

Deanna

o

Deanna, maybe not. The inchworm I saw was on the outside of the bud. I picked it off and have not seen another one. Maybe it was a fluke? It has also been rather colder than usual - I don't know how that affects the insect populations. Keeping an eye on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here