Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolear

inchworm?

lolear
14 years ago

The tiny green inch-worm-looking thing was eating my rose bud! Not the leaf but the unopened flower! I saw previous posts that described something like it and identified as rose slugs, but those seemed to be effecting the leaves. Is this the same? Best solution?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Typically, inch worms (true caterpillars) are the culprit of rose bud damage. These little insects look quite different from rose sawflies, at least to me. Regardless, inspection and hand removal is helpful, especially if you've only observed one or two.

How many roses do you have?

• lolear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've only seen the one so far, will keep an eye on it, though. I have 3 roses, all different kinds, I don't know what they are since they came with the house... If I post pics perhaps someone can ID them for me? Thanks!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Post a picture...we LOVE pictures! If you can't post one, then feel free to email them to me directly.

• lolear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have some pics just posted on the "roses" forum titled "id these roses". Thanks!

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

It's probably the tobacco budworm, and they're very difficult to control. The moth actually lays the eggs in unopened buds, so they're eaten from the inside out.

If you apply BT, it usually doesn't faze them because they're not eating the part of the plant that has BT on it.

Deanna

• lolear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deanna, maybe not. The inchworm I saw was on the outside of the bud. I picked it off and have not seen another one. Maybe it was a fluke? It has also been rather colder than usual - I don't know how that affects the insect populations. Keeping an eye on it.