Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdy_gw

julia child failure

birdy
16 years ago

I live deep in the city of memphis, where it is very hot and humid. I was seduced by the promise of the julia child rose but it has been nothing but trouble. Bugs eat the new leaves and it is plagued with black spot. I have several Perle d' oro roses that are huge and prolific, two graham thomases that are happy, and three iceberg climbers (one near the j.c.) that are happy bloomers and resistant to black spot. I don't- won't- use chemical sprays, and I've read nothing but accolades about this rose. Is it just really, really bad for the south?

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I don't know the answer about your rose variety, but wonder if you've tried Neem oil for the prevention of and control of the black spot?

• roseleaf
    16 years ago

Yes, mine does. JC can get severe black spot without spraying with some fungicides. Try Neem oil to see if it works for you.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

I live in Southern California and Julia Child has been the healthiest rose I've ever grown, a veritable blooming machine with not the slightest sign of any problem. I'm afraid this may be one of those roses that really excels in hot, dry climates. I'm sorry yours is doing so poorly.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I have 2 Julia Child roses (in full sun) and I have not sprayed them at all since getting them last fall. They are totally clean so far.

sandy

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

I have Julia Child in partial shade (in a pot) and she has been very healthy for me, flowers constantly - I am very happy with her. This summer has been unusually cool, but mostly sunny, low humidity, and frequent late-afternoon sprinkles. Actually, I like it just fine this way, and it seems JC likes it too!
    Judith
    {{gwi:308920}}

{{gwi:308921}}

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

I have an own root JC and she is bs free even though those around her have it. It is definitely hot and humid here.

• rosalita
    16 years ago

I live in Nashville and have a first year Julia Child but she's on Fortuania stock. She has been blackspot free for me and a great bloomer but with the big drought this summer, I had a lot less BS to contend with on all my roses. I am planning to cover JC carefully for the winter and see if she comes out healthy and happy in the Spring. I'm wondering if the root stock might have helped with the lack of bs disease.

• tracysungirl_comcast_net
    15 years ago

My Julia Child is a few years old and it has been the healthiest rose in my garden consistently. I live in Northern California near the coast so we get a great deal of fog. But while some of my other roses get BS and mildew, Julia Child is always clean and full of blooms.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Take a good, in depth, look at the soil these plants are growing in. Any plant growing in a good, healthy soil will be much less likely to be bothered by insect pests and plant diseases than would a plant growing in a not so healthy soil. For any organic gardener the soil should be the single most important part of the garden.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

You could try Grandma's yellow rose aka Nacogdoches if JC didn't work out for you. Chamblee's sells one (Nacogdoches). It went through several years of testing in Texas to find the best yellow rose without chemical usage for blackspot,pests, etc and it came out as a winner of all the yellow roses tested. It's going to be on Texas Superstar list this spring. So far, I like it a lot.

From Grandma's Yellow Rose

• da_mama
    14 years ago

Hi,

I live in North Texas and I purchased and planted 3 Julia Childs last year in the spring. We had a lot of rain last spring and they looked horrible. They were covered in black spot, lost their leaves, and were covered in bugs. I don't use pesticides and I was really dismayed and thought I would move them to a different location, when this spring--after the first fertilization--they really started blooming, the foliage got full and healthy, and very little black spot. I think it's because the soil was so soggy last spring (we have clay here) and didn't drain well. I amended the soil some, but of course, I can't remove ALL the clay from my beds.

I would try amending the soil. Is it in a location where it drains well? Is it in full sun? If amending the soil, fertilizing and Neem oil don't seem to help, I would probably suggest moving them to a location where there is better drainage and full sun.

Good luck. Hopefully yours will clear up as mine did.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks