Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firefighter?

Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:50

Anyone grow a own root Firefighter?
Just wondering how it does?

Our own root Mister Lincoln does not do to well...
Our Mister Lincoln is stingy on blooms, takes forever to bloom, dislikes cooler weather with a passion, blooms fall off the bush within 18-48hrs...

So I'm looking for a HT red that has good disease resistance to BS, has a nice shape to the bush, blooms stay on the plant for a fair amount of time and it blooms fairly well...
And I'll be growing it in a large container...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firefighter?

I have Firefighter as own-root, planted outside for 3 winters. It survived mid-May hailstorm (1/2" big), then strong wind broke the cane off, then I killed the tiny root (from our worst winter) by fertilizing.

I wrote about Firefighter rose under my username name "Chicago IL 5a" in HMF, see below:

"When the weather is above 80 degrees, Firefighter beats all my 15 Austins in fragrance. This got to be the most perfect red rose: tall, slender, zero diseases even in high humidity in my soil high in lime. It lasts for a week in the vase, the color is delightful, and still smells good when the petals fall apart. The rebloom is faster than Austin, and it doesn't occupy much space. It's a delightful rose for both landscape and cut-flower."

"When I mulched Firefighter with horse manure and tomato branches (both high in potassium) - the bloom gets huge, up to 5 inches, and lasts 1 week in the vase in cool weather. Firefighter and Annie Laurie McDowell are both divine in scents, one bloom can perfume the entire room."

"12 days ago, this was a fragrant red bud. The enjoyment is 2 weeks for a bloom on a bush, and 1 week in the vase. This got to be the most PERFECT red rose ever bred: low thorn, great scent, superb disease reistant. The repeat is fast, it gives me the most cut flowers in my garden."

"I'll give Firefighter a ten for bush-beauty: slender and compact, and for pretty reddish young leaves. It's 85% smooth, with tiny prickles, but upper stem is thornless, great for vase. It smells good until the petals fall apart ... the scent is delightful in any weather. Mine is own-root, I don't spray."

Jim, I got Firefighter as gallon-own-root from Roses Unlimited mid-May, it gave me 80+ blooms just for the 1st summer alone. You'll get your money worth. See below for Firefighter as 1st year in my garden:

o

Below is a bouquet of red Firefigher and pink Eglantyne (an Austin rose). Firefighter bloomed past the 1st frost, into November. I remember seeing frost on the blooms.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 14:07

Thanks for the info Strawbhill!
Sounds like a great rose then... I'll give it a try next year!

Our Mister Lincoln only gave us approx. 25-30 blooms per entire growing season. ML is going on 3 years old...

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:25

I forgot to ask... How tall and wide does FF get? Thanks

o

Hi Jim: FF is 2 feet wide, 3 feet tall. Winter-kill is severe, so it always stay that size. Here's a picture of its shape early spring, 2nd year. I adore its reddish new leaves, so pretty even without flowers:

o

I will be on the lookout for a Firefighter bush locally, or get one online next year. I have two Mr. Lincolns, very few blooms and it is a black spot magnet. Can't wait to get rid of it. Not to mention that the blooms do no last long in a vase either…. Sad to say, not worth having….

o

Hi Donna: You'll like Firefighter, I like to stick my nose into its velvety red petals and sniff the scent .. sheer heaven. The late Karl Bapst, rosarian from Indiana, Zone 5a, once stated that Firefighter and Double-Delight gave him the most cut flowers among his 400 roses.

I'm impressed with Firefighter & Double-Delight ... both bloomed at hot temp. above 90 when others shut down.

o

donnaroe,

I have a own Mister Lincoln. Early spring I transplanted it from the ground into a large container using regular Miracle Gro potting mix.

In the ground the blooms on our ML fell off within 18hr-48hrs.

In the large container this year the first two blooms have lasted 4.5 and 5.5 days on the bush.

First bloom was getting 12 hours of sun per day.
Second bloom I moved the container so ML would only get 8 hours of sun daily.

If it rains hard I can put the container on the porch so the blooms do not get ruined...lol
Because ML can be a real snoozefest....

Our ML is actually very resistant to PM and BS...

I'm also looking forward to trying firefighter! :-)

This post was edited by jim1961 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 19:06

o

Oh, strawberry, the thought of sticking my nose inside the velvety blooms and sniffing pure heaven sounds divine! Jim, that is so interesting how you have gotten your Mr Lincoln to behave. Good for you, that you figured out what to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here