Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question realted to Rose Petal and Hips

Posted by weew Summer (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 23:55

Hi folks,
I am newbie on growing rose to smell,enjoy and to EAT...

I have few questions hope that your, the expert, can give me some info and advice.

1. I know rose hips is good source of antioxidant, can I EAT rose petal? what is the nutrition on the petal?

2. How to do pollination on rose? is it the same way as tomato?shaking the flower?

3. I am growing dwaft variety in container, what is the good size for this variety(don't know the exact name for my variety)

4. I 'think' maybe it is hard for the rose to form fruit in my area, just would like to know, can I eat the petal? not interested to making them for tea.

5. Is it all roses can be eaten?

Thank in advance for those who answer.

Weew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question realted to Rose Petal and Hips

Weew,
I am not at all an expert on roses. Just started growing some myself! But I think I can answer a couple of your questions:

#5. I'm pretty sure all roses can be eaten. But if you are growing them to eat, you will have to be careful not to put any toxic chemicals on them. Then they would be dangerous to eat.
#4. I think roses will form the hip in your area, but as I understand it, not all rose varieties form hips. So if you want to get rose hips, too, you will need to make sure that you're growing a kind of rose that makes hips.
#3. This one I'm not 100% sure of, but if it were me, I'd buy a container slightly larger than the size of the root ball of your rose. As the rose grows, you'll need to keep checking to make sure the roots aren't getting pot-bound. Then you'll have to re-pot it into a slightly larger container. (As I said, this is not an expert opinion, just my guess. Maybe someone else can help.)
Carolinakate

o

• Posted by weew Summer (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 22:06

Thanks Carolinakate. But I still need to know about the petal?

o

The petal is okay to eat. When I researched the internet, the sites I found said not enough research had been done on the nutrient content of rose petals to know what they contain. Most research focuses on the rose hips which are high in vitamin C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose petals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here