Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rugosa roses in zone 7

Posted by Millie_36 Z6b MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 04 at 7:40

Is there anyone growing Rugosa roses in the hotter drier parts of zone 7...such as SW Oklahoma? I thought Hansa might make a good "fence" rose for someone who needs to stop his backyard from being the neighborhood alley for destructive kids. He can string a temporary fence until the roses have grown large enough to be safe from these kids who fight his flowers and blooming shrubs with stick swords.

Sure hope someone has some experience with them in area's where the temps can and do go over 100 degrees for several days to weeks at a time. He wants something that he can just water enough to keep them alive after they are well established.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rugosa roses in zone 7

Rugosas don't do heat and humidity well. I'd pick something else. Maybe Mutabilis. It's big, thorny enough, and it's never out of bloom. Any of the chinas will be nice and twiggy for hedging. Mermaid will eat the alley, kids, and encroach on his garden looking for stragglers. But it has the nastiest thorns just about in existance and would deter a knight in full body armor from tresspass.

o

I have been tempted by Mutabilis, but then backed off. I may have to try one some day. I'll have to check it's zone limits.

Hansa starts so easy for me that I had planned to just send him the cuttings in mid December to be stuck right where he wants them to grow. A few extra to put in the garden for backup and job done.

We have the dripping-off-the-roof-every-morning kind of humidity here, and it is doing fine... it is the extra heat that I was concerned about. Lost a few leaves off the bottom of the plant when I forgot to water it last year, but that was the first year for it. His part of Ok is less humid, but does get higher temps and for longer periods of time than we do. I don't think he will care if it doesn't bloom as often in the heat, as long as it stops the kids who use sticks to bat the blooms off his flowers, and break limbs off shrubs that get in their way.

o

I, too, could use some suggestions for antique roses to create a wind break at a beach property in zone 10. I'm talking hot, humid Gulf coast here.

My Mutabilis here in town, zone 8 or 9, is huge and gorgeous. But what roses can tolerate sand for soil and strong, salty winds? My research indicates rugosas handle coastal living up along the eastern seaboard.

Any Gulf Coast inhabitants out there with personal experience on growing roses at the beach?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here