Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose insect pest control

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 7:49

This year has been the worst for my roses ever. Many (not all) have suffered from some sort of leaf pest that appears to eat away the green of the leaves, leaving them brown, lacy, skeletonized. (One problem is, I can't actually find any insects, larvae, etc after searching the plant).

After consulting a few rose people it seems the problem is either some kind of tiny inchworm/caterpillar or sawfly larvae. Maybe they've finished their life cycle for now so I'm not seeing them. In any case, I need to develop an organic rose program so I'm here for advice.

So far, my efforts at rose growing have been the same as the rest of my garden, which is mostly perennials: add a lot of compost at planting time, then nothing else. This has worked great for perennials but apparently I could be doing more for my roses.

Here's what has been suggested:

1) Spray early spring with Cornell formula (hort. oil/baking soda)

2) Spray periodically throughout season with neem to control whatever insect it is that's eating my plants

3) Fertilize monthly April - August with some kind of organic fertilizer (alfalfa tea/aged manure/fish emulsion)

4) Add 1/3 c epsom salts 3x season

5) Add a little wood ash to raise pH

6) Prune away dead, damaged wood early spring

Question, if indelicate: can urine be a source of one of the organic fertilizer treatments and if so should I dilute it and how much? Kind of seems like free nitrogen.

By the way I'm not growing sissy roses. Here's the list: William Baffin, Fairy, Bonica, Therese Bugnet, Champlain, Linda Campbell, Constance Spry, R. hugonis and glauca, Felicia, Nymphenburg, Winchester Cathedral.

Thanks for any opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose insect pest control

Skip the urine on the roses, but if you still have to go, make a run out to the compose bins and go there. Then go get some insecticidal soap and spray your roses regularly, unless you have lady beetles. Other wise, the IS should solve your problem. Most of the other things you suggest will serve to bolster your roses own defenses, the neem will help to ward off bugs. The IS will kill the ones that eat the rose leaves. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here