Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mid_tn_mama

Climbing Rose Suggestions?

mid_tn_mama
19 years ago

I would like to plant some climbing roses to climb my beige brick home. Since I am an organic gardener, I am looking for something that can withstand Japanese beetles (perhaps early blooming and then late blooming again like my fairy rose that takes a beating and comes back from the JPs).

Any suggestions? Heirlooms? Anyone want to trade? Oh--am thinking of colorful varieties so they would be visible from the street which is far away.

Comments (3)

• User
    19 years ago

Dortmund is a good choice. It a single red with a white eye so it's very showy. The foliage is holly like and disease free. It's also fully hardy in zone 6, which some of the more tender choices aren't. Westerland, Autumn Sunset, White Dawn, Awakening, and Ramblin' Red also would be good choices for a no spray garden that needs to err on the hardy side.

But, any rose should not be planted to climb directly on the brick. No air circulation for it, and what if you need to treat your foundation for termites or paint the windows? Put a very sturdy trellis a couple of feet out from the brick and plant the rose to climb on it. If you choose a vigorous enough variety, it will cover the trellis and from just a few feet away will look like it's actually climbing on the house.

• mid_tn_mama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. This is just the advice I was looking for! As for trellises, I'd like them to climb to the second story--can you do this with a trellis? How do you affix them to brick?

• TreePapa
    19 years ago

Attaching to bricks (a few resources)

Decks.com read this if the weight load is going to eventually be significant (trellises covering your entire house or a large portion thereofwould constitute a significant weight load).

Hang Tough All you need to know to secure anything to concrete, brick or stone (at This Old House).

Peace,

- Sequoia

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths