Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it my imagination?

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 12:21

I read the message about using Pam on the aphids, so as a trial, I sprayed it on the Japanese beetles. It either stunned them or something because they didn't like it at all. They love my malva also besides the roses so I gleefully gave them a shot not because I love the malva (it is an invasive pain), but just out of vengeance. Now I realize this could be costly, but could you do the same thing by mixing the canola oil with some soap and giving them a direct spray? By the way, they are sexual maniacs, aren't they? Thanks - Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it my imagination?

Aphids are ASEXUAL maniacs, lol. The huge majority of the offspring is produced by parthenogenesis, without the need for male aphids at all.

o

rhizo - Wasn't talking about aphids--since I am doing battle with the Japanese beetles--I was referring to them. Sorry I am not knowledgeable with the biology part of it, I am just taking it out on the JBs.- Barb

o

I 'mis-read' your post, sorry. Yes, those JBs ARE totally focused on s-e-x.

o

I am not sure just what all is in "Pam" or many of the other non stick sprays I just know they all adversly affect my asthma which should tell anyone they are not good things to use, anywhere. There are other, much less expensive means of controlling Japanese Beetles, a bucket of soapy water is very effective for those with the time to wander around they garden in the morning. If used with due care Neem can be effective, but bear in mind that it is a broad spectrum poison just as pyrethrins are.

o

kimmsr: -I could go out every hour as many JBs as we have and that's all I would do. I simply do not have the time. Just got my better half out of the hospital from pneumonia and with all the extra medicines and treatments, I simply do not have the time to do this. I just hate to see these horrible things devastate my roses. I guess I will just resort to covering them with net. Even the leaves are being decimated (sp) and they just look so sick.I don't even have time to spray anything--taking the time to mix and all. Thank you so much. Sorry about your asthma. Can surely understand all about that. My grandson has it. I will just have to sweat it out until they are through their sexual orgies and go away--to come out doubly next year. - Barb

o

Barb, if you have time, look into Milky Spore. It may take a couple of years to become effective (it is a bacterial disease that affects the grubs), but it may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: when do i apply milky spore in n.e.?

o

Diane - we live out in the country and therefore are fighting the beetles from miles around. I have applied the milky spore and also had the ground treated (which I hate to do) but it seems inevitable that we just have to fight these things and tolerate them for the period they are effective. I could play policeman all day long, but I just don't have the time or the energy to do all of that. Thanks so much. Barb

o

If other, more ecological, means of control are not workable for you going out fairly early in the morning, when those buggers are to cold from the night to move yet, and spraying with a broader spectrum poison such as Neem or a pyrethrin based product may be necessary for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here