Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose loosing leaves due to fungus organic help

Posted by jo514 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 13:41

Good Day,
I have about 10 rose bushes and a dozen minitures. I have just exfoliated the damaged leaves and ground and keep after it daily. the roses on the bushes are tiny compared to the wonderful ones in the spring. I have fertilezed with Hollytone 3 wks ago. What can I do to get a handel on my roses and this fungus without the harsh chemicals since I have herbs amongst the roses? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose loosing leaves due to fungus organic help

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 19:43

We don't have a clue what fungus, if any, you are talking about. What sort of problemo you see onthe leaves?

And if the problem is a fungus which always makes a mess of that rose, perhaps it's time to discard the plant, then obtain a more toleraant one.

o
RE: rose loosing leaves due to fungus organic help

Are you speaking of black spot or powdery mildew? How are you watering these bushes? To begin, you can spray roses with a tablespoon of baking soda disolved in a gallon of water in a pump up sprayer. You can also make a slurry of corn meal and water and apply this to the folage. Not sure why you are fertilizing roses with a fertilizer for hollies. This line of fertilizer also has a rosetone product. I use an organic fertilizer which has alfalfa as the main product. You don't want to fertilize this late as it will cause new growth which may be killed by frost. In the spring remove all mulch from the beds and allow the sun to clean the soil. Add a liberal sprinkle of corn meal which will kill fungle spoors in the soil. Also add a third cup of a good organic fertilizer to each bush and lightly scratch it into the soil so not to damage the roots. Then add new mulch to your beds 2-4" thick. If you have it, pine straw makes excellent free mulch for roses and provides a little acid which roses like especially if you have alkaline soil. Hope this is helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here