Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose sales, garden bargains & things worth buying

Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 14:22

Today is Thursday, July 3, I notice that Heirloom roses in Oregon have FREE SHIPPING until July 7. So it's 5 days of free shipping !! Early September Heirloom roses also has 5-days of FREE SHIPPING.

I checked their website, many Austins are available, plus the noteworthy ones: Louis Clements, Star of the Nile, Living Easy, Easy Going, Blueberryhill, Lagerfeld. I notice that the very disease-resistant Carefree Celebration is also available.

Last year I waited until 1/2 price, the selection was much less, but I managed to get Jude the Obscure & Sharifa Asma end of July. The advantage of getting it now with free shipping is: One month ahead in growth, which is crucial for cold climate.

Sold at local Menards in Chicagoland: Chickity-doo-doo for $8 per bag, only a few bags left. Gypsum (16% sulfur, and 21% calcium) was sold for $4.49 per 50 lbs. bag, a lot cheaper than the feed store. The gypsum stuff is quite caustic with sulfur, earthworms and my skin are both sensitive to that acid ...but good to break up heavy & rock hard alkaline clay.

Menards also sell GROUND LIMESTONE, dusty-like-powder for $4.49 per 50 lbs. bag. They also sell pelletized lime for $12 per 50 lbs. bag. The red lava rock is cheaper than elsewhere, 50 lbs. bag for $4.99. I bought organic Milorganite for $8.49 to fertilize my lawn, rather than the $$$ Scott's weed & feed.

I got my favorite food for roses with Kelp meal: Pennington Alaska pellets NPK 4-6-6, only $6.99 at Menards. Also got for myself a 5-gallon plastic bucket for $2.85. For potting soil, the Sam's club here sells $10 for a HUGE bag of MiracleGro Moisture Control potting soil (much bigger bag than Walmart) ... but that was sold out fast.

The roses worth buying in my garden are those that produce tons of blooms: French roses that like my alkaline clay are Liv Tyler, Firefighter, Frederic Mistral, Marie Pavie, Bolero. Austin roses produce less blooms in my alkaline clay, but Crown-Princess-Magareta, Mary Magdalene, Radio Times, Pat Austin, Sharifa Asma, Golden Celebration, and Jude the Obscure were worth the money, with their outstanding scents. All the below roses are worth buying:

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 10:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose sales, garden bargains & things worth buying

I already bought 3 roses for Heirloom roses with free shipping: Heirloom hybrid tea, Madame Isaac Pereire (a Bourbon), and Souvenir du President Lincoln (a Bourbon).

If I had ordered 2 Austin roses, at $11.95 each, from Chamblee Nursery in Texas, the shipping cost would be $20.47 for two roses. It came out to be $10 MORE in total cost than buying it with free-shipping from Heirloom Roses in Oregon. But Chamblee Nursery has HUGE GALLON-SIZE root ball, which I can achieve if growing Heirloom's band-size in potting soil 1st.

What I like about Heirloom roses in Oregon is the large selection ... and there's no requirement to buy more than one. Below is a band-size rose I got from them, Lyda rose during last July 1/2 price:

o

Good deal Strawbhill!
A lot of our roses came from Heirloom...

o

I just purchased 6 roses from Heirloom, I couldn't resist the free shipping!

I got all bands of the following:
Easy Goin'
Livin' Easy
Pat Austin
Carding Mill
Crocus Rose
Heirloom HT

I also bought a 32 oz organic fish emulsion fertilizer for $7!

6 lovely roses & some fertilizer for $111 delivered, I think that is a pretty darn amazing deal, I am very excited!

Jessica

o

Hi Jessica: Those are lovely roses you bought. I can't decide between Carding Mill or a 2nd Jude the Obscure ... I like my 1st Jude a lot. That's a great deal you got ... would love to see your roses when they bloom.

o

It's funny because I actually also recently purchased a second Jude the Obscure, from Chamblee's! I wish I had known this sale was going to happen! I decided to get Carding Mill at the last minute, only because of a couple of amazing reviews from members of this forum! The blooms look lovely and apparently they are quite plentiful!

..Tough choice.....

o

Hi Jessica: I ordered Carding Mill from Heirloom this past 4th July weekend. But haven't receive an e-mail confirmation from them. The below blog from CA give good info. about Carding Mill & other Austins & great pictures too. The blogger mentioned about some Austins don't repeat for her, such as Crown Princess Magareta ... but that one repeats very well for me. It's because my climate has more rain than CA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very good blog on Austin roses in CA

o

Thank you for posting, strawberry. I am looking at floribundas or grandiflora with continual blooming and also would like fragrance- but want disease resistant ones. I don't see any rating on disease resistance online. Can anyone recommend any? I have always wanted Easy Does It, so this would be a good time to order…..even though Easy Does It isn't specifically fragrant….

o

Hi DonnaRoe: Since you are in zone 6b, Ohio, it would be good to look at Austin roses both for its hardiness and rainy climate as our Midwest. I don't think Ohio is as alkaline as my Chicagoland, so you'll have better luck with Austin roses, bred in acidic & rainy climate.

I'll look through the list for sale at Heirloom, these are known as BS-resistant: Blueberry Hill (very impressive blue in acidic soil), HMF says Easy Does it is disease-resistant (DR), Honey Perfume (nice scent & DR), Hot Cocoa (nice scent, likes it alkaline), Julia Child (does well at 100 degrees), Pretty Lady (the most BS-resistant ever !!), Sexy-Rexy, Sheila's perfume (great scent, thorny, DR for alkaline folks), First Impression (100% thornless, DR), Honey Bouquet (I have this, disease-resistant, awesome big blooms, fragrant), Royal Wedding (cold-zoners said it's great-bloomer, fragrant & disease-resistant). dark-pink Gemma (HMF stated very disease resistant).

For Grandiflora, not much choices in disease-resistant. I prefer Austin roses more than Gradilfora, since Austins have a nice & round shape, vs. Tall and sticky grandiflora. Austin roses survive winter better than grandiflora. Here in my zone 5a, the grandiflora are less than 6" now, after last winter, but my Austin roses are 2.5 feet, plus bloomed one month ahead of other roses, including Knock-out.

I'll go ahead and order Jude as a 2nd plant in my garden, possibly one floribunda. Just got an e-mail from Heirloom that my Carding Mill order went through. Great deal at $17.50, compare to $31.71 per rose if I had bought from Chamblee in Texas ($11.95 plus $19.76 shipping cost just for one rose).

Carding Mill doesn't show up in Austin rose section, but it's an Austin, and will show up if you type the name in the search box on Heirloom website.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:39

o

Strawberryhill,
Thank you for posting all of this! I love that blog, I have referred to it several times since first finding it, the photos are drool-enducing. I should add that I also went back and ordered CPM and Honey Bouquet at your recommendation, since it is the last few hours of free shipping, I decided to stock up one last time for 2014. I have always hesitated on CPM because of what some people say about the lack of repeat, but if constant rain would help with that, I think I would have luck with it here, I am usually very blessed in the precipitation department.

I have admired photos of your Honey Bouquet every time you post them, yellow roses are my favorite, and it is proving difficult to find the "perfect" pure yellow rose. I love my Golden Celebration to pieces but it is the only rose in my whole garden that has a significant amount of blackspot. I am worried that I have done something to encourage it, maybe put too much pine bark mulch around it or something, because I have another smaller GC in a pot which has no BS. I have sprinkled corn meal on & around the affected plant a few times, and I continually pick off the spotted leaves, and I feel like that has helped some, but it still slowly spreads to new parts of the plant. The good thing is that GC grows like crazy, so it still has a lot of leaves on the taller branches, but I am concerned about BS becoming more of a constant issue with this one. My other yellows are: Julia Child, Happy Go Lucky, Shockwave, and Midas Touch, most which are proving to be pretty disease resistant, and bloom-happy, but although they are lovely, none of them really wow me with their flower form or fragrance. Hopefully HB will be the one I needed! It certainly looks lovely & I am a sucker for a strong fragrance.

I am glad you got the Carding Mill! To me, having a large variety is more fun. Since this will be my first full year growing more roses than just knockouts, I have had a pretty good time trying new varieties & filling all the new garden space I had to play with. I have talked myself out of buying duplicates of old favorites more than once, in favor of finding more new & unexpected favorites, and in doing so I have found a whole new love for various roses whose form or color didn't initially draw me in.

thanks for all your advice!!

Jessica.

o

Hi Jessica: You are right that the pine-bark around Golden Celebration made the black spots worse. I did that to my last house of acidic clay, and roses grafted on Dr. Huey: I mulched with pine bark, and the black spots were so bad that they lost leaves, even with Bayer spraying.

That was almost 2 decades ago, lesson well learned. Dr. Huey's root is very good in acid-phosphatase. That's a process where cluster-root secret acid to utilize phosphorus in soil. Take that acid, add to rain water at pH 5.6, add that to pine bark (pH 4.5) ... roses won't be healthy at such low pH.

Here's an excerpt from below link from University of Georgia Extension on pine bark:

"Pine bark should have a natural pH between 4.0 and 5.0, ideal for blueberries. It is less acid-forming than ammonium sulfate. Problems with pine bark: High manganese ... When very high levels of manganese accumulate in the plant, the leaves may turn red and yellow and defoliate.

Low oxygen composting of pine bark (anaerobic respiration) causing very low pH. This can occur in pine bark when mold (mycelia) develops in a band 24 to 30 inches below the surface of the pile. This creates a cap that seals off oxygen. Anaerobic respiration can occur producing acetic acid (vinegar), phenolic and alkaloid compounds toxic to plants.

Mold in the bark which repels water. Pine bark in dry piles may develop high fungal populations recognized by clouds of spores when disturbed. Once spread out and irrigated, a mold (mycelia) grows rapidly which repels water. Newly set plants may dry out and die."

*** From Straw: Honey Bouquet is a compact & small bush. The bloom lasts longer in the vase than Golden Celebration. Crown Princess Margareta takes up 10 times space than Honey Bouquet ... I let it crawl on the ground, but folks train it along a fence. CPM petals tend to brown in the rain, so I have to do apply lime for calcium. My regret is that I did not put gypsum in CPM planting hole. That one has a higher need for calcium since its many canes are stiff, and the blooms have zillions of petals.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Georgia Extension on pine bark

o

Strawberry, thank you for the information. I discovered your posts on this forum pertaining to pine bark mulch and it's association with BS too late, I already had put it down around them, luckily GC is the only one with any major problems from it. In your opinion, what should I do about the pine that is already down, should I remove it? Would that cause more harm than good, would it be better to just cover it with something else? I have read your positive posts pertaining to mulching with red lava rock so I was thinking of looking into that a little more, sadly we don't have a Menards here, so I will have to find it somewhere else. What do you mulch with? I'm sure you probably use compost, I desperately need to invest in a composting receptacle, but I just keep spending money on fun stuff like more roses, soil amendments, pots & potting soil. Luckily I do have some gypsum that I purchased from kelp for less (again at your rec.) that I will make sure to use when planting CPM & probably every rose I plant from now on, since I live in clay-land. I also plan on planting CPM in an area where she can get some support from a fence or trellis, because I have heard she is a beast of a plant. I am excited to have another small yellow to tuck into an area that needs a little color boost, I look forward to HB a lot, I have almost bought that one several times & I am glad I waited for this bargain.

Thanks!

Jessica.

o

Hi Jessica: Home Depot, Lowe's, and garden centers sell Red Lava rock as mulch, chunky ones for less than $4 a big bag. Red Lava rock pH is 8, Ground Limestone pH is 9, and Pine bark pH is 4.5. Two people in the Fig forum stuck a pH meter in a pine-bark medium, and it measured way-below 4, NOT good for root.

Ground limestone is fine like dust, and raise the pH immediately. Red Lava rock is slower-release. After a 2 weeks or rain at pH 5.6, I spread gritty limestone, plus a few red-lava rocks for potassium & iron. Since potassium movement is a 3 (hardly move), I would put red lava rock UNDER the pine mulch .. the chunks dissolve slowly when wet.

Pelletized lime is more expensive than ground limestone, but it's a slower-release & more available. It would be easier to spread lime on top of existing pine mulch, than to scrape it off. Good luck with your Golden Celebration, is yours grafted or own-root? If yours is grafted on Dr. Huey, the doctor secrets even more acid ... Dr. Huey can go through my rock-hard clay better than my shovel.

o

My GC is grafted. Thank you so much, I am going to start looking for red lava rock & lime or ground limestone. Is there a mulching material that works well for you as both a summer moisture loss preventer and a winter freeze protection? I am assuming that the mention of the lava rock and limestone is only to correct my over acidification of the soil, but what do you use for just good ol' protection from the elements? It seems like I have read pretty much everywhere that just using stones as mulch isn't great during the summer heat... Maybe lava rock is different? I have never used it before so I know nothing about it, I assume if it dissolves it isn't truly a "rock"? Hmmmm.....

o

Hi Jessica: Red-lava-rock is porous and light-weight, thus break down slowly with rain water. I touched those rocks during hot days above 90 degree, not bad .. about the same temp. as my heavy clay. But chunky lime stones heat up in the sun, that's why I use gritty limestone that mixes with soil easily.

The rose park nearby with 1,200 roses use zero mulch, just bare dirt. I don't mulch because it encourages shallow roots, harbor insects, plus a breeding ground for fungi and rose slugs. We get so much rain this year that I saw icky mushroom on the lawn, next to the tree ... so glad that I don't have mulch around my roses.

There's Arthur Bell floribunda in my garden which I don't mulch nor water for the past 3 years ... total neglect. It gets chicken manure twice a year, along with soluble sulfate of potash (my soil is low in potassium). It has deepest root and survived this past zone 5a winter best. That rose teaches me the virtue of patience, and give plants only what they need, excess only cause diseases.

It's interesting that pine bark is high in manganese. Cocoa mulch at pH 5.8 has manganese, perfect recipe to induce rust on Evelyn ... Last year the roses which I didn't mulch, didn't have rust either in my pH 7.7 clay. There's a U. of Nebraska research on rust, with the title, "Medium pH and Leaf Nutrient Concentration Influence Rust Pustule diameter on leaves of dry beans."

Their conclusion: Plants grown in pH 5.8 medium show significantly larger rust pustules than plants grown in pH 6.5 or pH 7.9. Concentrations of Cl (chloride) and Mn (manganese) were more in high rust. In contrast, concentration of K (potassium) were less in high rust. Alabama Agriculture Cotton Research also recommended potassium fertilizer to reduce rust.

Last year 2 factors that gave rise to rust in my Evelyn rose: My mulching with cocoa mulch at pH 5.8, and my dumping gypsum (calcium sulfate with 17% sulfur) around the bush. Fast calcium release plus acidity drove down potassium, which is necessary for disease-prevention.

Evelyn is clean this year, no mulch, just some gritty limestone to neutralize rain water (pH 5.6), and a few red lava rocks for potassium and iron. Same with my own-root Frederic Mistral: top-dressed with gritty limestone .. picture taken in high humidity & 2 weeks of rain:

o

That's a nice Fred bush! This Chicago Peace rose is worth buying, I love its color in my sunny CA garden:

o

Austin rose Tess of the d'urbervilles is worth buying: disease-resistant, good bloomer, nice myrrh scent. Picture below taken July 6:

2 Tess on each side, Heirloom and Annie L. McDowell in between. Tess measures 3 inches and a little more, due to inversed petals around the edge. Tess has a beautiful darker crimson red, hard to capture with the camera ... in real life it's darker.

o

Hi Seaweed: Your Chicago Peace has amazing colors .. so much deeper than Cantigny park nearby. Chicago Peace rose was first discovered at Cantigny Park.

I love the color and form of your Austin Tess rose. Your Annie's bloom is so big !! I got this garden-scoop from Menards, it's great to scoop fertilizer, holds up to 1 1/2 cups. I use it to make a basin around roses, to collect water. Due to its large scoop, scooping up soil is fast. See picture below of my garden scoop (less than $5), from Menards, next to Mirandy rose ... very disease-resistant, zero BS after wet June and humid July.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:34

Chicago peace does look very nice Seaweed!
Both Tess's look amazing too! Very nice roses you have in your garden!

o

Gypsum (calcium sulfate) is worth buying. I first learned about gypsum's role in promoting root growth from hydroponics YouTube experiments. There are plenty of studies to confirm calcium's role in root growth, see link below, "Gypsum Improves Subsoil Rooth Growth".

I forgot to put gypsum inside my 5 pots this year. BIG MISTAKE! They were wimpy, with thin leaves that were susceptible to diseases. I later put gritty lime (during month-long rain), then gypsum on top, but it's too late. I planted the rose from pot into the ground, the root-growth is 1/2 the size of previous years with gypsum added to the potting soil.

Gypsum pH is 6.8, with 21% calcium, and 17% sulfur ... best MIXED well in the planting hole to buffer the 17% sulfur. When I spread gypsum on top, it gunk up near the stem, and its fast release made a few roses wilted. Spreading gritty lime with 100% calcium on top is safer, the acidic rain broke that down.

Some roses that prefer acidic like Annie L. McDowell loves gypsum ... I put lots of that in the planting hole, and it was VERY vigorous as band-size, see below picture. Since it got too large for that spot, I removed that, and put in Comte de Chambord. Comte hates acidic, and breaks out in black spots. Yesterday I dug up that spot to make it more alkaline with my clay at pH 7.7.

Roses are DIFFERENT from each other, some has higher iron need (Double Delight and Oklahoma), some has higher copper need (Comte de Chambord), and some has higher need for sulfur & calcium ... best with gypsum in the planting hole. La Reine is another that likes gypsum .. it has lots of petals & deep cup that balled in the rain. I put gypsum in the planting hole, and that solved the problem.

Before is my 2nd Annie L. McDowell, very vigorous as band-size with gypsum in the planting hole:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gypsum improves subsoil rooth growth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here