Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapleleafmama

What kind of mulch is best?

MapleLeafMama
18 years ago

We have had a very hot summer here so far. I have a few questions:

1) If I use mulch, will it promote mould growth?

2) Would a pea gravel/ or larger rock gravel be a better alternative?

3) If I use mulch, should I go for the natural color? I prefer the look of the black because from far it looks like dirt. But I'm nervous about using stuff that has been dyed on my "babies"

4) Would the bark be suitable?

thank you so much!

Sandy

Comments (5)

• Field
    18 years ago

Any rock mulch is the worst possible material. Keep that stuff for walking paths. For plant growth and all other purposes, organic matter is the only acceptable mulching material, with a good quality, coarse-screened compost being the best for bedding plants and for roses. Fine-cut tree bark or trimmings is next best.

• siriamrit
    18 years ago

Can you get ahold af any pine needles? Pine needles are lovely...

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

1) Maybe, but no more so than any other moist soil.
    2) Stone, be it pea gravel, washed stone or what can absorb heat form the sun and could make the environment around your plants hotter than they would like causing them to transpire more moisture than you would like. Stone of any kind is not a good mulch material.
    3) Color is a personal choice but a natural color is better.
    4) Bark is good, but you usually have to buy it. The best mulch you can get is right now on the trees around you and shortly will be falling off ready to be picked up and used. By far the best mulch is what is free and readily available to you. Last should be anything you have to pay for.

• oshenar
    18 years ago

Well the stuff that has been dyed will probably not harm the roses as much as you think, provided they are meant for plants anyway.

Rock mulch may look cleaner but is not a good idea. It does not break down and will be hell to remove later once you change your mind about them (been there done that).

Well so far, even in our wet climate, I have not noticed any mold growth using bark mulch. The only time I get moldy growth is if I use granualar organic time release fertilizer sprinkles.

Use of autumnn leaves provide a gorgeous effect with the plants, but the tree leaves I have in my area are not very healthy and I'm paranoid about it carrying diseases. I bit the bullet and got myself some nice medium sized mulch, they don't break down as fast and still do the job of insulating the plants in winter and keeping the soil moist in hot summers.

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

Those dyed mulches are made from waste wood products which will include just about anything. I've seen chip board, plywood, pressure treated wood, wood lath from old homes that probably has lead in it, and who knows what else. Dyed wood mulches I would not use for any reason, especially since there are many other materials to use that are free. Seldom will anyone need to worry about diseases trees may have affecting the plants in their gardens.