Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtrose_gw

Need help diagnosing diseased rose

vtrose
17 years ago

I have about 50 varieties of roses that have been in for about 4 years. I garden organically and have only minor issues with black spot and mildew until this year. My William Baffin rose is very sad indeed and I am afraid I will need to take it out. If anyone can help me diagnose what is wrong, I would appreciate it. I have posted images at http://www.windsorchairresources.com/garden/rosedisease.html . There are some healthy leaves, but most old and new growth leaves curl and pucker, and eventually become papery brown. The stems look as though they may have canker but I am not sure. I am wondering if I cut the rose to the ground if it might come back healty or if I need to get it out and let the soil rest? The poor thing bloomed reliably as usual. It has been incredibly wet here this summer. Thanks for any help.

Comments (4)

• elks
    17 years ago

Were it mine, I would leave it till fall or next spring so that it can photosynthesize as much as possible, then prune it to the ground. The various fungii will be pruned away too. It will come back, perhaps stronger than now. Don't worry; it's will to survive will surprise you.
    Steve

• vtrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Steve. I will wait till fall, cut it down and scrape off the old mulch and top layer of soil, replace and give it another chance at life. It actually has some better looking growth now, but also some awful looking, strange. It is such a stellar bloomer.

• soniarosa
    15 years ago

Could you send me the pics at srosaloki@gmail.com
    I tried to get into them and could not. Before i say anything i want to look at your plant. You may want to solarize your plant. In the meantime a great all around drink is 32oz. of water and mix in 2 cap fulls of dyna-grow Neem Oil (the 8 oz jug caps)(all natural/organic) and a teaspoon of ivory liquid. Spray it all over eaveryday around 9am or 4pm. Pour alittle into the ground just once. this cures just about anything that ails the plant.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Plant disease are soil related, so what is the soil you are growing these roses in like? When was the last soil test done and what did it show? What is the level of humus in your soil? How well does that soil drain? How well does that soil retain moisture? What kind of soil life does the soil have?
    Check with your local office of the Universtiy of Vermont USDA Cooperative Extension Service about haveing a good, reliable soil test done for base nutrient and soil pH levels and then dig in with these simple soil tests,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer you soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.

to see what you have and get more help in what you need to do to make a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: UV CES

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations